James Blyth was born in Marykirk, Kincardineshire back in 1839 to John and Catherine. After graduating from a local parish school, he attended Montrose Academy, then to the University of Edinburgh where he received his Bachelor of Arts in 1861. After graduation, he taught mathematics at Morrison’s Academy in Crieff.
He completed his Master of Arts in 1871 when he married Jesse. In 1880, he was appointed Freeland Professor of Natural Philosophy at Anderson’s College in Glasgow. While there he invented something, more on that in a moment. He died from a stroke at his home in Glasgow in 1906, he was 67.
What you may not know about James is that he invented the first wind turbine. His home was the first that used the electricity produced by a windmill. For his invention, he was awarded a UK patent in 1891. He built a second improved turbine which was used to supply emergency power to the Lunatic Asylum, Infirmary and Dispensary of Montrose. That system lasted for 30 years.
Until tomorrow give someone the free gift of a smile