|Prep Time: 15 mins||Total Time: 45 mins||Yields: 6 servings|
- 1 c. plus 1 tbsp. cold heavy cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 c. all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 6 tbsp. butter, cold, cubed
- 1 c. shredded cheddar, divided
- 1/2 c. shredded Gruyère
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup cream and egg. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Using your fingers, rub butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal, with a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining. Add ¾ cup of cheddar, Gruyère, and green onions, and toss to coat.
- With a fork, stir in cream mixture until just combined. (The dough should be crumbly; do not overwork.)
- Transfer dough to a work surface and pat into a 6" circle and cut into 6 wedges. Arrange scones on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon cream and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup of cheddar cheese.
- Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.