In these modern times, more and more people are becoming more capable of travelling not just within their countries but also to internationally known tourist spots. Travelling encourages learning other countries’ cultures and values, strengthening the bond between people of different races and origins around the world. While some tourists are simply looking for vacation, others are actually immersing themselves into a whole new world. And to do such kind of immersion would need an intimate connection to a community. I have round up some of the emerging cities where tourists can enjoy their vacation and be one with the local community. Such places are not as popular nor inhabited by many people but it sure is enough to keep tourists coming back for more! Here are such places:
1) Siargao, Philippines - Siargao is an island with a tear-drop shape located south of Manila, the Philippines’ capital. This surfer’s paradise has a land area of an approximate 440 square kilometers is emerging as the favorite of tourists who driving in an island filled with coconut trees and fresh air! The island is surrounded by white sand beaches who even has local dogs, cafes to lounge at and reefs for surfing and even mangrove forests that you will marvel at. What makes this place even better is the welcoming locals - they will tend to you and make sure that you make the most of your stay in the island. f you’re thinking of visiting this place, make sure to check out the places:
- Cloud 9 - Also known as the surfer’s favorite. The Cloud 9 is actually a reef with thick hollow tubes making it ideal for surfing. Most tourists who come from different parts of the world spend a whole day under the sun while catching the waves together with the locals.
- Magpupungko Rock Pool - If you ever wanted to swim in a natural pool then this is perfect for you. This place features tidal pools made of limestone rock formations that were formed by the waves during high tide.
- Sohoton Cove - Another unique experience in Siargao is to get lost in the Sohoton Cove. Enjoy the magnificent limestone rock formations surrounded by the clearest waters with different sea creatures - including non-stinging jellyfish just beneath your feet.
- Island Hopping in Naked, Guyam and Daku Islands - Siargao is surrounded by many different islets which you can spend a day touring while munching on some fresh coconut juice and grilled seafood deliciously prepared by the locals.
For a summary about The Philippines, please visit the site: Breaking Asia
2) Johor Bahru, Malaysia - a Malaysian town that sits around the border of Singapore, Johor Bahru has come a long way to develop attractions that can cater to travelers. It has a variety of restaurants and cafes that you can indulge in if you want to enjoy Malaysian cuisine as well as historic and cultural sites depicting the colonization of the Great Britain. As most travelers would agree, Malaysia is one of the best cuisines in Asia so if you’re in Johor Bahru it’s no wonder that you’ll also enjoy the street food and even food shops such as bakeries that have been operating for a long time already. For a day trip, here are some of the spots that you ought to visit:
- Angry Birds Theme Park - a theme park that contains almost everything about the famous game, Angry Birds. This place is filled with amusement activities and rides that are centered in the Angry Birds characters!
- Arulmigu Sri Rajakaliamman Glass Temple - this place is cited as one of the most important buildings for Hindu culture and community as it is the first Hindu building made of glass. Because of its composition, it glitters when the rays of the sun strike its surface. This place is of great interest for architects and engineers!
- Legoland - If you’re travelling with your family, especially with your child then this is the place to be. Legoland has a variety of rides and activities such as bump cars that kids and even adults will truly enjoy!
- Jalan Tan Hoik Nee - This place is one of the oldest neighborhoods of the city where the old chinese style houses and colonial buildings are evident as seen from their external architecture. In this neighborhood, you will also see a variety of restaurants with enchanting Malaysian dishes and antique shops you can enjoy touring around.