Congratulations! You've retired to sunny south Florida. All your hard work had paid off and you're enjoying life in the surf side town of Jupiter, Florida. So, now your grand kids have arrived in town for a visit and you need some ideas to keep them entertained (besides video games). Why not introduce them to some of the natural wonders of our beautiful area. Here are the top 5 ways to keep those kids entertained and educated in the great outdoors!
1. Grassy Waters Preserve - Take a walk through the swamps at Grassy Waters on this elevated boardwalk that extends out into marshy wilderness. Your kids will be thrilled at the sights and sounds of this precious ecosystem. Sighting of birds, snakes, alligators, turtles and even otters can be seen in their natural habitat as you venture through this natural wilderness. Call ahead and see what fun and informative programs are scheduled on the day of your visit. Have your cameras ready so you can share your adventures with your friend when you get home!
2. Loggerhead Marine Life Center - Learn all there is to know about sea turtles at Loggerhead Marine Life Center. Take a guided tour through the museum and learn how the sea turtles live and how interactions with humans affect them. Outside in the giant saltwater tanks you will encounter live sea turtles that have been rescued and rehabilitated. Soon they will be released back into the ocean. Call ahead to see if sea turtle walks at night are available. You can watch first had the miracle of life as giant sea turtles lay their eggs on the shore.
3. Coral Cove and Blowing Rocks Preserve - Located at the South end of Jupiter Island you'll find Coral Cove and Blowing Rocks Nature Preserve. These rocky beaches offer a unique experience for exploring sea life up close. Watch waves crash into the rocks and shoot upward creating a glorious fountain effect. Small sea creatures become trapped in the shallow crevasses creating a rare viewing opportunity for your little explorers. Be sure to bring your water shoes as rocky terrain may be rough tiny feet.
4. Riverbend Park - There is so much to see and do for everyone in the family at Riverbend Park. A visit to the rental shop will reveal a host of options for enjoying this waterfront park. Bike rentals are available for those who wish to view the park on land. Miles of intricate paths will keep you entertained all afternoon. For those who love to explore the waterways, kayaks and canoes are available for rent. Once on the water with your trusty map you see wildlife and up close. Alligators and turtles are sometimes seen sunning on floating logs, many variety of bird are also on display. Be careful going under bridges as bats can be hanging underneath! What better way to lean about nature than seeing up close!
5. Jupiter's Iconic Lighthouse - Guided tours are available hourly, starting at the base of the lighthouse in the Lighthouse museum and gift shop. The tour begins with a brief video and ends with the climb of a lifetime. You will be allowed to enter and climb the stairs to the top of this historic structure. Once you've climbed the 105 steps to the top you'll find it was well worth the trek. Stunning 360 degree views are breathtaking and oh so memorable. Be sure to pack a picnic lunch to share with the kids on the grassy lawn overlooking the brilliant blue intracoastal waterway.
These are some of our favorite outdoor destinations for educational family fun. Hope you enjoy these local gems and make lasting memories with your family.
CLICK TO BUY THIS LIMITED EDITION
JUPITER FUN FACTS SOUVENIER SHIRT.
Available in crew, t-shirt, long sleeve & hoodie in a variety of colors and sizes.
Written by Shaun Weiler | Realtor Associate at Mirsky Realty Group LLC
4580 Donald Ross Road #107, Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418