If you're like me, you enjoy learning new facts. Here are several interesting historical events with anniversaries on May 17th. These were collected from www.Wikipedia.org.
- 1536 – King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn's marriage is annulled.
- 1792 – The New York Stock Exchange is formed under the Buttonwood Agreement.
- 1900 – The children's novel the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum, is first published in the United States. The first copy is given to the author's sister.
- 1902 – Greek archaeologist Valerios Stais discovers the Antikythera mechanism, an ancient mechanical analog computer.
- 1954 – The United States Supreme Court hands down a unanimous decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas.
- 1973 – Watergate scandal: Televised hearings begin in the United States Senate.
- 1977 – Nolan Bushnell opened the first Chuck E. Cheese's in San Jose, California.
- 2018 – The United States Senate confirmed Gina Cheri Haspel to lead the Central Intelligence Agency becoming the first woman to hold the post on a full-time basis.
Images from the illustrations by W.W. Denslow from the 1900 first edition book of "The Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum.
Thanks for reading "Interesting Historical Events of May 17".