Located on the Delaware River and founded in 1651 by the Dutch as a military fort, New Castle bounced from being part of the Netherlands, Sweden, and England during the 17th Century. (the Delaware River seen from Battery Park)
In the 18th and 19th Centuries, wharves and merchants lined the shores of the river for the commerce generated by vessels at their doorstep headed out to the ocean or the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia. (photo: colonial tradesperson in Battery Park) Today there is a new pier for visiting recreations of historic ships such as the Kalmar Nyckel, now berthed in Wilmington. Waterfront bicycling and walking paths pass through a busy Battery Park. You can bicycle from the Wilmington riverfront on the Christina River through a winding path ending in New Castle.
But every 3rd Saturday in May, homes and gardens in Old New Castle open to the public. This year the weather was perfect, sunny and in the 70's and the gardens all looked spectacular. A band played on the green in back of the historic Courthouse, and folks in historic costumes portrayed tradespeople, soldiers, and pirates while offering simple games for children aided by wooden toys. (waterfront activities and private garden)