We have all heard that kitchen and baths sell houses, but there is one more area that you should pay a lot of attention to before you list your Silver Spring, MD home for sale: the front (or face) of your house. The importance of curb appeal cannot be emphasized enough.
As a listing agent in Montgomery County, MD I always consult with my seller clients first to a) learn as much as I can about the property and to b) prepare a pre-listing to-do list and timeline. Curb appeal is always on said list! It is not because many of my clients' homes lack it, but because it is so very important. Without curb appeal, without an inviting front, potential home buyers may not even step inside to see that fabulous kitchen or bathroom that you so lovingly (and perhaps costly) renovated.
So what can you do to create awesome curb appeal, to make your house smile at all potential buyers?
1. Clean, sweep and powerwash front steps, porch, siding, shutters.
2. Check all fixtures and replace if worn out or broken (light fixtures, door hardware, railings etc.)
3. Spruce up landscaping, add seasonal plants.
4. Add some decorative touches (a rocking chair with a pillow, hanging or potted plants, welcome mat, a birdhouse, a windchime...).
5. Color! Don't fear color! A pop of color that is - remember, you want your house to smile invitingly at buyers, and not smirk or scream. In all seriousness, a bit of color can create interest, it can become that focal point that draws the buyer's eye, and help make that oh-so-crucial first impression a pleasant one. You can introduce a pop of color with landscaping, or decorative pillows, or by painting your front door. Just look at this lovely home pictured below. By adding some sunshine (that was the very first thing that popped into my head when I saw the yellow front door), the owner's introduced a focal point. It certainly caught my eye, so much so that I had to snap a picture which inspired this post. It's pleasant. It's memorable. It simply works.
Silver Spring, MD Home Seller tips: create curb appeal and don't fear color!