How Much Do You Know About Your State?
In the past several days, I came across an article in WorkandMoney.com that listed the oldest businesses in every state in the union. In North Carolina it is The Tavern in Old Salem in Winston-Salem. Founded in 1784, The Tavern in Old Salem is famous for its Moravian chicken pot pie, filled with chunks of chicken in a rich broth. This is a actually a colonial era dish that has been served for 235 years and even today is considered a staple of North Carolina cuisine. If you don't know what the oldest business in your state is, click here for a slide show identifying the oldest business in each state.
13 Fun Facts About North Carolina
This all got me to thinking about whar other fun facts I might not know about North Carolina, even though I've lived here for 21 years now. After doing a bit of reasearch here's a baker's dozen of fun facts about North Carolina (also known as the Tar Heel State):
- The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, home of the Tarheels, is the oldest State University in the United States.
- North Carolina was the first state in the United States to establish a state museum of art and a state symphony.
- Beech Mountain is the highest town in Eastern America at 5,506 feet above sea level.
- North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes in the nation.
- North Carolina is also known as Old North State, the Land of the Sky, and the Rip Van Winkle State.
- The Venus Fly Trap is only found in two American states, North Carolina and South Carolina.
- Asheville North Carolina is a mecca for craft beer lovers and boasts the largest number of breweries per capita of any city in the US.
- The first miniature golf course was built in Fayetteville North Carolina in 1954.
- Pepsi was invented in North Carolina in 1893 by a drugstore clerk named Caleb Bradham. It was meant to be a concoction to aid in dyspepsia.
- Babe Ruth had his first professional home run in Fayetteville on March 7th, 1914.
- North Carolina was named after King Charles I and King Charles II of England. The name "Carolina" comes from the Latin word "Carolinus," meaning "of Charles."
- In addition to Pepsi, North Carolina is credited with inventing the following items which are household names today: Cheer Wine (1917), Krispy Kreme Donuts (1937), Texas Pete Hot Sauce (1929), Vicks VapoRub (1890).
- With the Mecklenburg Declaration of 1775 on May 20th, North Carolina was the first state to declare independence from England.
One More Fact... Charlotte Is The Largest City In North Carolina
Charlotte is rivaling Jacksonville, Florida to be the largest city in the Southeast and these days Charlotte is considered a Global Hub for Business, a major reason for its growth over the past decade.
Thinking About Moving To Charlotte? Don't Make That Move Without Carolinas Realty Partners' Free Relocation Package!
Charlotte-Mecklenburg is consistently ranked among the top 10 moving destinations and one of the fastest growing cities and regions in the United States. If you're thinking about a move to the Charlotte area, REQUEST OUR FREE RELOCATION PACKAGE TODAY. It's full of useful and important information about life in the Charlotte area and its many neighborhoods and it's a great way to begin discovering the Charlotte metro area and everything it has to offer.
Get A Sneak Peek At What Living In Charlotte, NC Is All About
REQUEST OUR FREE RELOCATION PACKAGE TODAY. We'll send it right out. You're under NO obligation, so you can't go wrong!
Your Charlotte Region Relocation Experts
Carolinas Realty Partners have been opening doors for families moving to the Charlotte area for 20+ years. If you're considering relocating to the Charlotte metro area, I'd love an opportunity to earn your business, to exceed your expectations, and to show you how:
Fun Facts Image credited to ClipArtMagazine