Floridians will have seven days to build a hurricane-season stockpile – including batteries, flashlights and radios – free of sales taxes, beginning Friday.
Items eligible for the May 31-June 6 tax break
- Reusable ice that costs $10 or less
- Self-powered light sources, $20 or less
- Gas or diesel fuel tanks, $25 or less
- Nonelectric food storage coolers, $30 or less
- Packs of AA-cell, AAA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6-volt or 9-volt batteries, $30 or less
- Self-powered radios, two-way radios or weather-band radios, $50 or less
- Tarpaulins or other flexible waterproof sheeting, $50 or less
- Tie-down kits, $50 or less
- Portable generators, $750 or less
The rental or repair of items doesn't qualify for the exemption, and items sold at airports and theme parks aren't included in the deal.