Whether you're visiting or live in Jupiter, photo opportunities are never more than a few minutes away in this picturesque town. Digital, underwater or film photographers get ready. Here's our top 10 best places for great photos in and around Jupiter.
1. THE JUPITER LIGHTHOUSE is the number one photographed monument in town. I know it seems obvious and a little tryte, but who can blame us for mentioning it? The lighthouse has been standing there for hundreds of years, and nothing screams "hey I'm in Jupiter better than the big red light post on the coast." Most people shoot the lighthouse from U-Tiki or other restaurants from across the intracoastal. But did you know that there are lighthouse tours? From inside you can snap shots of the incredible spiral staircase, closeups of the light amplifying lenses and birds eye views of the inlet.
2. LOGGERHEAD MARINELIFE CENTER presents ample photo ops of sea turtles recovering in captivity. Outside you'll find a few dozen saltwater tanks harboring these gentle giants. Turtle releases of rehabilitated turtles are another amazing event that shouldn't be missed. They usually release the turtles at high noon, so the lighting is less than desirable for great shots. I'd suggest capturing the release on video and compiling a nice edit as a memento!
3. BLOWING ROCK nature conservatory on the northern end of Jupiter Island is chock full of beauty. I'm going to recommend that you visit is at sunrise so you can catch red and orange skies as waves push the water through the rocks creating geyser effects. Weekends can get crowded, so Monday through Friday tend to be the best times to check it out. Relax and experiment with apertures and F-stops and take in this awe inspiring scenery. Coral reefs full of colorful fish can be found a few yards from the shoreline and for those of you lucky enough to have an underwater camera, you'll have a field day snorkeling or diving. A quick tip for shooting under water: The blue water tend to suck up reds, oranges and yellows. So use a forced flash and shoot as closely to the subject as possible for best results.
4. JUPITER WATERWAYS shorelines are lined with tropical foliage and interesting architecture. My top picks are Jupiter Island, Loxahatchee River on the North Fork, Guanabanas Restaurant for night shots, The Jupiter Inlet marines, bars and shots of the fishermen on the pier.
5. RIVERBEND PARK is located west of I-95 and the Florida Turnpike, open sunrise to sunset. Bring your bike, horse, canoe or kayak. There are over 5 miles of fresh water leading into the Loxahatchee River, 7 miles of horse trails and 10 miles of shell packed trail ways for bikes and hikers. Sand cranes, alligators, deer, rabbits, otters, snakes, birds and bugs are all prominent residents of Riverbend Park. A majority of the 660 acre preserve is heavily shaded. Bring a telephoto, macro and portrait lens. This is worthy of a day trip.
6. ABACOA TOWN CENTER has some interesting architecture, baseball stadium, skate park, tennis courts and beautiful golf course worth of attention. You might even catch a celebrity golfing or swing a tennis racket, as we've seen Serena Williams on our local public courts! The skate park is a great op for burst photography, high F-stop, wide aperture shots. Roger Dean Stadium hosts a variety of teams, and Abacoa Town Center free events are ongoing with everything from The Food Truck Invasion to Harley Bike Nights and Antique Car Shows. At the amphitheater you'll be amazed at the venue of famous entertainers who grace the stage. For more information on Jupiter Florida Abacoa Events, click here.
7. JUNO BEACH PIER & JUPITER DOG BEACH offer up some playful shots of dogs playing Frisbee, running, swimming and shaking off water. Crystal aqua waters meet with light blue skies for a perfect backdrop. Early morning sunrise shots from underneath the pier, combined with great composition are some of my favorite themed photos.
8. JONATHAN DICKENSON STATE PARK is located north of Tequesta about a mile past County Line Road. On the west side of US Highway 1 you'll find miles of bike trails, RV camping, river tours and plenty of park guides to answer your questions and send you in the best direction for great photos. There's a fee to enter the park, but well worth it if you are planning on making a day of it. On the east side of US Highway 1, a lesser known spot north of the main entrance to Jonathan Dickenson can be found which has about a dozen parking spots and a wooden stair case leading down through a canopy of sea grapes to one of the best kept secrets in the area. It's rare to find more than a few people casting lines in the water at this hidden gem overlooking spectacular Jupiter Island mansions on the east of the intracoastal waterway. Enjoy it! There's no charge to enter, and there are bathrooms adjacent to the parking area. Just bring a cooler, sunscreen, chair and fishing tackle along with your camera!
9. DUBOIS PARK is located on the south side of the Jupiter Inlet and offers picnic benches, charcoal BBQ grills, lagoons, fishing, the Dubois House perched high and overlooking the grounds. Boats, palms, great sunsets and views of the Jupiter Inlet give you plenty of angles for some wonderful shots of the area.
10. JUPITER PAST... some of the historic buildings in the area are well worth their gold in creative photography. The Sims House on Center Street has recently been fully restored to its' glory. The 1913 Jupiter House has been donated to Town Hall and moved to the property. Ralph's Standup Bar on Jupiter's Center Street is notorious for motorcycles lining the street out front, with live music and a taste of what the Jupe's was like years ago. Ralph's is one of the oldest bars in the area. With so much growth and gentrification in the area, it's hard to find historic gems. Capture them while you have a chance... because as you know, one good hurricane could level them to the ground!
Want to know the best place to develop, enlarge and transfer your award winning photos to different media? I highly recommend 60 Minutes Photo at 75 E. Indiantown Road, Jupiter FL for quality print production. Fast turnaround and expert service guaranteed.
Denise & Shaun are 30+ year residents of the Jupiter / Palm Beach Gardens area and have extensive local knowledge of everything from the housing market, schools and events.
Denise Copeland | Realtor Associate & Shaun Weiler | Licensed Real Estate
Specializing in the Jupiter & Palm Beach Gardens Areas.
Mirsky Realty Group LLC
4580 Donald Ross Road #107
Palm Beach Gardens FL 33418
It's always fun to shop for homes online. But when it comes down to making it happen, you need to see it upfront and personal. The links below are great convenient ways to save money on flights, parking, lodging and luggage. If you need advice on where to stay... or have any questions about anything in Palm Beach County, please don't hesitate to call us!
Interested in searching all Jupiter / Tequesta communities?
Set up a FREE listing alert at www.JupiterOceanHomes.com