Educational Post for 6/19/19
by Patricia Feager
Real Estate Agents are not expected to be Home Inspectors or Roofers. When it comes to a home purchase, roofing, and construction matters! During spring and summer in Texas, we can get thunderstorms and hail. When I have questions about my roof, I stop at my local insurance company and ask lots of questions. I have been told the best time to inspect is when you obviously have leaks and know there is a problem. However, visibility from down below isn't always reliable. That's why they recommend you get a free inspection with no obligation by companies the Insurance company recommends or from a roofer who is licensed through the Roofing Contractors Association of Texas. Only about 200 out of 5,000 roofers in Texas are licensed. Licensing is not a state requirement but it sure makes a difference!
Things that matter in Texas are:
- Who is licensed and credible?
- Does your Insurance Company approve?
- Who is Local and Reliable?
- Are you working with your Insurance Adjuster before you sign anything?
- Is there at minimum a 5-year workmanship guarantee?
- Are the roofers licensed and insured?
- Are they local & not traveling sale scammers who take your money and run?
- Does the Company provide Expert Product Knowledge?
- Do they focus on People over Profit?
- Is there a transferable warranty if you sell your property?
Insurance claims can be scary and roof repairs expensive. Having peace of mind and working with your insurance company right from the start who advises you, unless there are leaks, if you are not moving, do not have the roof installed until fall when the risk of hail damage is over, is important information. If you are in the process of a move, read the contract, your real estate agent should be looking about for their clients too. If you are getting financed, talk to your lender and the insurance company to get the right information about what to do. As a real estate agent in North Dallas, I like to know my buyers and sellers are protected and will do the right thing with people they can trust.
Some links to explore Include the following: