This Week's Featured Listings:
Live from Liberty Grove, Wisconsin
Liberty Grove is Door County's northern-most community (excluding the Town of Washington Island), It's also popularly referred to as "Door County North", and Wikipedia gives one crazy fact about Liberty Grove that isn't matched by any other Door County community:
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 189.5 square miles (490.7 km²), of which, 53.6 square miles (138.8 km²) of it is land and 135.9 square miles (352.0 km²) of it (71.72%) is water
That's right: Liberty Grove has more waterfront property than any other Door County town, city of village. And Liberty Grove takes its waterfront, and its waterfront recreation, very seriously. With such popular beaches as the Ellison Bay Beach, Sand Bay Beach, Europe Lake Beach and with the recent purchase of more public waterfront access in Gills Rock, Liberty Grove is a great place for a vacation destination OR a year-round home.
Liberty Grove also boasts several Town Parks (Sand Beach is my personal favorite, along with Portes des Mortes), as well as two County Parks (Door Bluff Park and Ellison Bluff Park) and even a STATE park: Newport State Park off of County NP. So all manner of year-round sports, from water sports that including boating, water skiing, canoeing, kayaking, sailing, swimming, fishing, ice fishing, ice skating and more, as well as land sports that include hiking, biking, exploring, bluff climbing, camping, public tennis courts and more are some of the mainstays of Liberty Grove.
Add in wonderful arts (from oils and watercolor to pottery), incredible schools (including the Clearing School for Adults and The Savory Spoon Culinary School), local festivals, great dining and shopping and much more and you have a thriving year-round community of approximately 2,000 people that call Liberty Grove home.
And just where is Liberty Grove? Liberty Grove, as well as being the northern-most community on the Peninsula, includes the commercial centers of Ellison Bay and Gills Rock, as well as Europe Lake, Rowleys Bay, Newport, Northport and areas that are called Sister Bay, Ephraim and Baileys Harbor for mail delivery. Highway 42 is the main arterial that will take you from Sister Bay to Northport (to get on the ferry to Washington Island), and Liberty Grove is the only town in Door County that maintains its own roads, also. Gorgeous canopies of hardwoods provide lush, leafy overhangs on many town road, including Isle View, Water View, Beach Road, Wisconsin Bay and others.
So this week, in honor of last week's Summer Solstice, as well as Ellison Bay's very well attended annual festival, Uncork Summer, we are featuring our Liberty Grove listings, from Sister Bay to Gills Rock. Read on! We have homes, condominiums and vacant land in Liberty Grove in all areas and all price points. I called Liberty Grove home for much of my life, and have a soft spot for all things in the 'Grove, and you will, also. Here are our Ten Ten Liberty Grove Listings for Summer, 2019:
1. 12313 Europe Lake Lane, Ellison Bay, WI 54234. This home is a GEM. Custom crafted, with a lot of gleaming wood, and located in the woods with an easement to the shore for your personal enjoyment. Europe Lake is one of Door County's best kayaking spots, and is spring-fed by Lake Michigan and bordered by Newport State Park. Learn more about our three bedroom, custom crafted home at 12313 Europe Lake Lane, Ellison Bay, WI 54210 here.
2. 11154 Hillcrest Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234. This property is NEW CONSTRUCTON that will be available 2019/2020, and one can still work with the buider to customize this home. Walk or bike into nearby downtown Sister Bay, yet enjoy lower Liberty Grove taxes. Public utilities and an incredible custom plan make this one a must-keep-on-your-list home. Learn more about 11154 Hillcrest Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234 here.
Photo of a similar home by same builder or designer: This Home on
Hillcrest Road will have the same modern farmhouse feel:
3. 12002 Grasse Lane, Northbluff Condominium Unit 5-C, Ellison Bay, WI 54210. This bright home on a bluff, close to downtown as well as Ellison Bluff Park, boasts wonderful water views, ample natural light and a clean and "beachy" shore feel. Snuggle in at night by the Door County field stone fireplace; enjoy gorgeous views of Green Bay and the Ellison Bay harbor. In-ground pool and tennis, too. This one won't last long! Learn more about our 3 bedroom home at 12002 Grasse Lane, Ellison Bay, WI 54210 here.
4. Our "quintessential Door County cottage in the woods" at 1081 Wagon Trail Circle, Rowleys Bay, WI 54210 is a must-see. This home combines all of the charm of yesteryear with the modern amenities of today, and includes both water views AND water access to Lake Michigan. This has been a strong rental performer for its year-round Liberty Grove owner, and we're delighted to offer it to a new family for the first time in decades! Learn more about our listing at 1081 Wagon Trail Circle, Ellison Bay, WI 54210 here.
5. Vacant Land on Deer Trail near Northport, WI 54210. We've all seen the iconic photos of Highway 42 as it leads into Northport in Autumn....it's actually one of the most famous fall photos in the United States. This lot off of Deer Trail, off Highway 42, is in this exact area that is so often photographed by people from around the globe. AND....this land is priced to sell. Learn more about our vacant land for sale on Deer Trail near Northport in Gills Rock, WI 54210 here.
The Famous Highway 42 Northport Corridor in Autumn
6. Coming soon.....2415 Flint Ridge Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234. The Sellers have spared no detail, no expense in this expansive custom home built by Van's Lumber, which includes too many custom details to mention as well as a metal storage building, all on over 10 acres a short bike ride from downtown Sister Bay and all of its charms. Keep an eye on our site, moredoorcounty.com, for more details of the listing at 2415 Flint Ridge Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234: Coming Soon. It's a one-of-a-kind luxury home (year-round hot tub room with fireplace is just ONE fabulous feature) in a fantastic location convenient to downtown Sister Bay, yet "away" from it all.
7. Vacant acreage off of Woodland Drive, Ellison Bay/Gills Rock, Town of Liberty Grove, Wisconsin. Lushly wooded and located off a winding gravel road, this acreage would make a fabulous place for your year-round home or vacation getaway, a short walk from the water and future public water access in the heart of Gills Rock. Municipal waterfront access and improvements coming soon will drive up prices in this area. Don't wait! Learn more about our vacant land off of Woodland Drive in Ellison Bay, WI 54210 for sale here.
8. 11619 Carrington Lane, Ellison Bay, WI 54234. An affordable year-round or vacation home with three bedrooms and two bathrooms between Ellison Bay and Sister Bay? We've got it! Offered with garage at $194,900.00 and without at $164,900.00, this is a wonderful opportunity to "get your foot in the Door" at a great price. New construction, still available as of this writing. Learn more about 11619 Carrington Lane in Ellison Bay, WI 54210 by checking here.
9. Twenty meadow and wooded acres off Humbug Road a short bike ride from downtown Ellison Bay. From this parcel of 20 meadow and wooded acres, you'll hear church bells and be just a short bike ride from downtown Ellison Bay and all of its charms. Build your dream home; ten acre minimum means this parcel is also divisible under County zoning. Learn more about our 20 acre parcel for sale off Humbug Road in Ellison Bay, WI 54210 now.
10. 12295 Garrett Bay Road, Ellison Bay, WI 54210. What an opportunity! Three bedrooms, 2 baths, full basement, garage and a great location walking distance to downtown Ellison Bay, with it's fantastic public beach and marina. By the time you read this, though, this home may be gone (offer pending). You can find more homes and properties like this any time by searching our website at moredoorcounty.com where you can search by homes, use our condo search to find all Door County condominiums for sale and you can also search for vacant land located throughout Door County, Wisconsin by using our land search. Choose your price, the towns and villages you like and more, and set yourself up to receive weekly updates for new or reduced properties.
If you missed our listing at 12295 Garrett Bay Road for sale,
you can search for more listings at moredoorcounty.com
Liberty Grove and Door County North... like no place else. If we can assist you with your Liberty Grove home search, please contact us today.
This Week's Featured Listings:
Live from Liberty Grove, Wisconsin
Town History: Courtesy Town of Liberty Grove Public Records via Town of Liberty Grove
Being informed by the Chairman of the Supervisors of the Town of Gibraltar, himself being a member of the Board of Supervisors of Door County, that, according to resolution, passed by said Board at their last session, Township No. 31, Range No. 28 and all of the territory on this peninsula situated to the north of said Township, is set off as a new Town, to be know by the name of Liberty Grove; therefore, the inhabitants and electors of the Town of Liberty Grove, in the County of Door, are respectfully requested to assemble and hold a Town meeting on Tuesday, the 5th day of April A.D. 1859, at the hour of 9 (nine) o'clock in the fore noon, at the house of Ingebret Torgerson in said Town, being the place specified in our petition for a new town. At such meeting the following Town officers will be elected: 3 (three) Supervisors, one of whom must be designated on the ballot as Chairman, 1 (one) Town Clerk, 1 (one) Treasurer, 1 (one) Superintendent of Schools, 4 (four) Justices of the Peace, so many Constables and as shall be ordered by the meeting, not exceeding the number provided by Law, 1 (one) Leader of Weights and Measures, and 1 (one) Overseer of Highways for each Road District in said Town. At such meeting will also be taken into consideration, and suggested to the vote of the electors, what amount of money it will be proper to raise for surveying and building of roads, and for defraying all proper charges and expenses arising in the Town.
Hoping, Gentlemen, that you will attend to the meeting and all of you, we beg to remain, true as ever.
Zacharias T. Morbek
Dated Liberty Grove
The 26th day of March