Acton Ontario History

By
Real Estate Sales Representative with Johnson Associates Real Estate Ltd.,

Acton History


Acton from the air circa:1919

For almost 150 years this place has been called Acton. It was 1844 when Robert Swan, our first postmaster, suggested this name to replace "Adamsville" (chosen in honour of the founders) and the original name, "Dansville".

 

Acton was settled in 1825 by the Rev. Ezra, Rev. Zenas, and Rufus Adams. Saddlebag Methodist preachers, they retired to farm and rebuilt their strength, returning to the circuit in 1830. Zenas preached the first sermon ever delivered in the locality, just east of Acton, opposite Worden's farm. Zenas held services at his home o­n the corner of Main and Church Streets. Built of yellow pine about 1830, his home still stands. Zenas died in 1847.

Ezra, whose home stood near Bower Avenue later moved to Drayton. Rufus' wife opened the Acton School in 1826 where the Knox Church now stands. The school also doubled as a Methodist Chapel. Rufus died in 1856 and his widow soon moved to Dundas.

Bower Ave.

A fourth brother, Eliphalet Adams later joined his brothers here. His son Phineas who died at age 31 in 1830 may have been the first grave behind the Chapel (Pioneer Cemetery - now behind Knox Church). Eliphalet, who died in 1844 had a younger son, Ransom, who was a bachelor businessman here until his death in 1880. He was the last Adams to reside in Acton.


The boathouse o­n Fairy Lake

The Adams brothers dammed up the creek to create the Mill pond which powered their saw mill and later the flour mill which operates o­n the same site today. The mill pond, named "Fairy Lake" by Sarah Secord, surrounds Prospect Park.

The 14 acres have served as the town park and fairgrounds since the village purchased it in 1889 for $3000. The stone pillars were erected in 1924 to celebrate 50 years of incorporation. The arena was erected in 1929 o­n the site of the army drill shed. The 1867 barn stands beside the arena and serves the Acton Agricultural Society as a Poultry barn at Fairtimes.

Main street was Acton's principal thoroughfare in the early days. The Adams family laid out the streets in a grid pattern, naming them after family members. Then the boom began with the coming of the railroad. The first Grand Trunk train steamed through town in 1856.

Grand Trunk Railway Station

The Toronto-to-Guelph Road (Highway 7) also served as a main road. It was laid out in 1827. Main Street became Highway 25 as the automobile became king, causing passenger rail service to decline until November 1967 when Acton Station was closed. Limited service was reintroduced in 1987 although the station has long since been pulled down.


The Birder Tannery circa: 1920

Acton adopted the theme of "Leathertown" in recent years and with good reason. The tanning industry began in 1842 under Abraham Nelles. By 1865, the Beardmore Tanning Company, a Hamilton tanner since 1844, purchased the business and became an integral part of the village.

They built employee housing, tennis courts, a bowling green, a golf course, boathouse, ran a cooperative store, and the village outdoor arena o­n Frederick Street. At o­ne time the tannery proclaimed itself as the largest in the British Empire. Canada Packers purchased it in 1944, operating under the Beardmore name until they closed it o­n Sept. 12, 1986.

Acton supported many industries related to leather, particularly the W.H. Storey glove factory o­n Bower Avenue. Begun in 1868, Storey employed up to 250 people. He built his family a magnificent home o­n the corner of Mill and John Streets in 1879. The Storey family left the house at the end of World War 1 when Wilfred Coles ran it as a veterans' home.

W.H. Storey Glove Factory

It was a hotel until 1937 when it became a funeral home. Storey's son sold the business in 1915 to H.T. Arnold of Georgetown who ran the glove business until 1954. The four storey factory was razed in 1962 to accommodate the new Acton post office.


Acton Tanneries

Other tanneries prepared leather for companies like Hewetson Shoe, Coronna Shoe, Superior Glove, Marzo Glove and Frank Heller and Co., which confirmed Acton's leather heritage.

Heller and Dawkins were instrumental in starting the Olde Hide House, Acton's tourist attraction in o­ne of Beardmore's warehouses erected in 1899.

While leather was Acton's mainstay, other companies like Acton Plow co., Building Products, H.K. Porter (Disston Saws), A.P. Green, Ajax Eng., Blow Press, Microplastics, Force Electic Mason Knitting, Dills Printing and Keates Organs have employed many.

Shingle Factory circa: 1899


The Town Hall

Acton was part of Esquesing Township until 1874 when it was incorporated as a village. The Town Hall was erected in 1882 for the municipal council, the constabulary and the fire brigade. When Acton became part of Halton Hills in 1974, the hall was no longer needed. ...

Designated an historic building in 1977, it was eventually sold to Heritage Acton for o­ne dollar. They are presently restoring the building which still includes the nineteenth century lockup. The other principal public buildings in Acton include its centennial projects: the Hydro offices, which were considerably enlarged in 1988-89 and the Public Library, whose park like setting includes a small arched bridge popular with photographers.

Pausing to read the historical marker at this site, it is worth noting that the small stream under the bridge was o­nce responsible for supplying power to the mills of Acton, the very source of power that drew the Adams family to the site in the 1820s.

History Plaque circa: 1991

 





Community Corner

Finish Article

  | Login |  

Home Acton History Acton BIA Businesses Advertise with Us Community Contact Events Links Local News Tourism Board of Directors What's New Featured Business Dining Food & Incidentals Great Shopping Professionals Reliable Services Sports/Entertainment A & K Food Stop A Taste of Italy Andy's Family Restaurant Godfather's Pizza Joe's Great Pizza Leathertown Tavern Mill Street Crossing Pizzaville Starlight Café Subway Tanner's Restaurant Town Friar Acton Discount Variety Ed's In-N-Out Variety Jug City New Variety Village Variety Willow Lane Natural Foods Acton Optical Alexanian Carpet & Flooring Blooms Away Blue Springs Flower Shop Country Reflections Dollar Stretcher Daze Forever Youngsters Giant Tiger Halton Hills Furniture & Appliances My Cottage Dream Papillon's Purification Systems Inc. Salvation Army Thrift Store Soul Reflections The Holland Shop The Needle Gnome The Olde Hide House Vintner's Acton Family Doctors Funeral Homes Lawyers Miscellaneous Real Estate Real Estate Active Ears Acton Denture Clinic De Melo Chiropractic & Wellness Centre Dr. Chan Dr. Jayalath Dr. McWilliam Dr. Nather Dr. Vanderbent Four Seasons Dental Blue Springs Funeral Home MacKinnon Family Funeral Home Aldo Braida - Lawyer MacKenzie & Chapman, Lawyers Ron Henry - Lawyer Acton BIA D & R Contracting Denny's Insurance Dolliver Surveying Inc. H & R Block Precept Group Insurance Reg Marsh & Assoc. Young & Co. Realty Executives ReMax Real Estate Centre Royal City Realty Ruth Bowes-Real Estate Automotive Banks Beauty Computers Family Miscellaneous Pharmacies Acton Motors KAMBROS Auto Centre Mark's Auto Service Bank of Montreal Bank of Nova Scotia Cash Inn CIBC Blue Springs Spa Family Barber Shop Fat Cat Tatoo Pete's Barber Shop Profile Beauty Salon Silver Creek Spa SunBeach Tanning Super Cuts For All Think Tank Computers Webyou Inc. Links2Care Peekaboo Childcare Center Salvation Army Family Services Acton Laundromat Relaxo Coin Laundry Medical Pharmacy Acton Jiu-Jitsu Classic Karate Staying Alive Fitness Inc. TDI Dance Centre Video 99 X Marks the Fitness Spot.com Churches Non Profit Associations Schools Sports Acton Baptist Church Bethel Christian Reformed Church Churchill Community Church Evangel Family Church (Pentecostal) Knox Presbyterian Church Salvation Army St. Alban's Anglican Church St. Joseph's Catholic Church Trinity United Church Art Gallery of Ontario Barlee's Angels Rescue Network Cats Anonymous Esquesing Historical Society Federation of Ontario Naturalists Halton Volunteer Centre Literacy North Halton Ontario Early Years Centre-North Halton Ontario Environment Network Peel-Halton-Dufferin Adult Learning Network The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills Upper Credit Humane Society Women 2 Women World Wildlife Fund Canada Acton High School MacKenzie-Smith Bennett Robert Little Public School St. Joseph's Catholic School Send Email To: Board of Directors Send Email To: Acton BIA Send Email To: Webmaster Canada Day Celebrations Acton Trunk Sale A Taste of Acton Leathertown Festival Acton Fall Fair Hallowe'en Haunted House Santa Claus Parade An Old Fashioned Christmas Art Gallery of Ontario World Wildlife Fund Canada Royal Ontario Museum Discovery Channel National Geographic Government of Canada Superior Glove Ltd. Tourist Attractions How to Get here

Comments (0)

What's the reason you're reporting this blog entry?

Are you sure you want to report this blog entry as spam?