Power cords have one problem; that is, they often obstruct you while trimming. Therefore, when using the electric hedge trimmer, it is no surprise that the cord might get destroyed. If the cable has been cut, you should first unplug the cord’s other half that is still connected to the socket or turning off the power. With the cord severed, the electric trimmer is virtually useless. Luckily, by incorporating a little resourcefulness as well as a small monetary investment, you can effectively repair the cord. Consequently, your trimmer will be up and running like before.
Moreover, replacing the whole cord is not always necessary. It is because if the cable connected to the trimmer is still of adequate length to be functional, you simply need to add to its end a new plug. However, if the unattached cord is longer, you need to add a plug-in on the cut end and a socket to the other end to guarantee the two sections are safely connected. Nevertheless, the National Electrical Code does not permit the splicing together of cord pieces. It is because there is a slight possibility that the connection is either getting wet or separating, even if you use shrink-wrap insulation. So, you might be wondering how to replace the electric power cord on string trimmer, below is a step by step guide of how to do this successfully. You might be interested to read about string trimmer on GardenGrower.
Steps to Replacing The Power Cord on An Electric String Trimmer
- Disconnect the electric string trimmer’s cut power cord from the electrical outlet. Simultaneously, flip the switch of the electric trimmer to the “Off” position.
- Subsequently, using a utility knife, get rid of the outer casing from the cut cord’s last one inch. Do this with extreme caution to avoid cutting any wires that are inside the cord. With the stripping tool meant for wire cutters, remove the insulation on all ends of the cord’s wires using a stripping tool of wire cutters. Furthermore, you need to do these tasks on both the cord’s cut ends, adding a socket to one end and a plug to the other.
- You need to open the new plug to uncover the terminals screws inside. Connect the wires of the cord to the screw’s terminal by enclosing the copper wires clockwise around the screws. Consequently, match black to brass, white to silver, green to green screws and if applicable, repeat the same process on the new sockets.
- Slide down the cover to link the plugs and then push together the two parts. Typically, by tightening the three screws in the plug’s face, you have safely secured these parts together. However, they also may snap together. Consequently, on the screw’s end, tighten the plug to fasten the wire and prevent it from slipping out firmly.
- Connect into the new socket the new plugin case both the plug and socket are new. By plugging the original plug to an electrical outlet and then switching on the electric trimmer, asses the whole cord.
- Into the power outlet, directly plug in the male cable or plug both the female and male plugs to reinstate the original length of the cord.
Items You Will Require
- Utility knife
- Male plug
- Female plug (optional)
When learning how to replace the electric power cord on string trimmer, you should confirm that the new socket and new plug are rated to carry an identical load like the original power cord. It is because using a plug system of inferior quality can have detrimental effects on the electrical trimmer.
Tips on How to Replace the Electric Power Cord on String Trimmer
- Ensure your electric trimmer is always plugged into a GFCI protected outdoor outlet.
- The plug’s base needs to slide effortlessly along the cord. If you experience any resistance plus the cord’s casing bunches up, you should buy a bigger plug.
- Always ensure you are using plugs which are rated for outside use as you do not need to take any additional steps to safeguard them from the rain. If not, confirm that the plugs are wrapped up with water-resistant PVC tape.
You now have a better understanding of how to replace the electric power cord on string trimmer. Furthermore, you also know of the safety precautions you should take as well as all the essential tools which will be useful.