Image Source: https://erebusshading.com.au/
During the summer months, relaxing outdoors can be quite refreshing. To have a unique outdoor entertaining area adjoining you home – perhaps, as an extension of your usable living space - there is a need to invest your effort, time, and budget. When the investment is made correctly, the reward will worth the price. However, to ensure that your outdoor entertaining area is both functional and beautiful, keep the following key points in mind:
- How do you plan to use your outdoor space? Will you be relaxing on a comfy sofa, having a treat with your family on a table or sitting around a fire pit alongside friends and family.
- What number of guests do you usually have? By having a rough estimate, you can determine the number of seats and tables needed for the entertaining area.
- Match your design cues with those indoor: while designing your outdoor area, consider your favourite aspects of the dining and living rooms, then apply them to your outdoor space. After all, we usually entertain guests outdoors the same way we would do indoors.
- Consider the floor space: if you like to entertain a high number of guests or your outdoor space is small, try to keep the area free of materials. You can place the barbecue and seats around the perimeter; in this way, the floor space will be maximised.
- Mind your indoor-outdoor access: try to add a wide exterior door while renovating or building an outdoor area. By doing so, your visitors will be able to walk freely from indoors to outside. Also, taking items from the kitchen to the alfresco space will be more comfortable.
- Lay the right foundations: be meticulous while developing the foundation of your outdoor area; consider the floor levels, hard landscape, as well as plumbing. In this way, space will be comfortable and attractive without jeopardizing the positioning as well as the functioning of outdoor fixtures and lightings.
Image Source: https://mrverandah.com.au/
Now that you have a sound understanding of how you want your outdoor entertaining space to look, the next thing is to consider the materials necessary for the area. Some of the standard components include:
- Comfy seating: consider getting an outdoor sofa where you can have a nice time reading. And if possible, get an open-air dining to have a nice meal with your friends and family.
- Retractable Awnings: Consider adding retractable awnings to your house. Aside from beautification, it has a lot of functionality for different weather conditions.
- Outdoor kitchen: Like to cook for your guests but don't want to be stuck inside? If you have a verandah or alfresco entertaining area adding an outdoor kitchen will certainly suit you.
- Stools and Side tables: these portable pieces often come handy during parties as they serve as additional seating and platform to place drinks. Rather than large coffee tables, it is best to get small side tables if your outdoor space is small. Plus, they are easy to move around.
- Heating: During the autumn months, having a heating system around will keep the outdoor area cozy. You can check the market for some outdoor heating system such as wall-mounted designs or portable heaters. Consider electric, overhead-heating strips for a fuss-free appearance.
- Lighting: At night, your guests will need sufficient light to walk freely. Hence, endeavour to put lighting fixtures in your outdoor area. You may add up-lights that highlight features or plants as well.
- A fire pit: this material will be quite useful during the wet period. With a fire pit, you will relish a soothing warmth and ambience. During the warm season, you can easily keep it in store. If you dislike having a wood-burning mess in your vicinity, settle for ethanol burner; it offers a good heat. Ethanol burner is produced in various designs such as floor-mounted, tabletop, among others.
- Outdoor speakers: you will need good music for entertainment. Hence, get yourself a portable speaker that can be used to play music, indoors or outdoors.
- Planters: this helps both beautify your outdoor space and define the area. Small area's such as couryards will benefit from slender, wall mounted planters.
Finally, pay proper attention to any detail that offers a more comfortable space; it helps add extra value to your entire house. As long as you consider and implement the key points here while decorating your outdoor space, expect to have an impressive outdoor entertaining area soon!