There are subjects that come-up in life that can be difficult or sensitive to approach let alone discuss. Does this mean we cease to comment, put our true feelings on hold and let these subjects do as they wish? Subjects can range from being embarrassing to disgusting and from shocking to suggestive making the challenge to enter into these arenas daunting.
The first thing to interfere with an investigation, report, finding or discovery of any sensitive or controversial subject or experience is the emotions that are triggered and surface when introduced. Those emotions tend to cloud, bias and detract or amplify what is really going on. So the first problem with problems that surface are....
THE EMOTIONS THEMSELVES
In many instances people react causing a new problem that joins the subject problem making for compound problems which literally make people back-away or refuse to proceed. That's how powerful these events can be. However, are we to let circumstances run wild and dictate how we live or respond to our world?
BELIEFS POWER IT UP
Right or wrong is subjective to the person who labels it so. Good and bad follows the same rule. What one finds offensive another shrugs off. How can this be? The fact is that we all have established beliefs or opinions that stand ready to come out when activated by events or conversations that by their design trigger reactions. The who we are and what we believe may be rejected or attacked! Beliefs must earn their keep!
Even if one is prepared in advance that what they will hear, see or experience may be shocking and to remain calm that very prep alerts the reaction squad within the human nature in most people. There is good and bad news here. First the bad news. We must enter into the controversy. The good news? Resolution is activated. Without going toward the problem it exists and grows. Shedding light on it brings the balances. IMPORTANT NOTATION: We don't have to agree but we must share, explore and question or why are we here? What part do we play?
SOME EXAMPLES TO DEMONSTRATE THE POINTS IN THE POST
warning: Some of these subjects will activate, trigger and may cause discomfort. There I said it.
1. Talking to your children about coming of age is uncomfortable and while easy to do it is not causing a conundrum. Hormones take no prisoners as they are wanting to burst out of a person who is unsuspecting. For girls its their period and cravings along with emotional highs and lows that command & control them. For the boys, it is energy mixed with power & permission to go and do whatever they want when they want. Parents tend to not discuss this but watch out for signs and either choose to handle or let run its course as the rule. My approach: I ordered a pamphlet for my girls to read and then said if any questions ask me. They had no questions! Why? It was difficult for them as it was for me. The boys were left to be boys
2. Religion is not something a person is born with thus it is introduced and then demanded or subtly put forth as this is what we do. It can be fun or exacting for children. For adults it can be serious, fanatical, extreme or matter of factly acceptable believing that what harm can it do? Some consider it life necessary
3. Politics are an adult driven emotional fiasco by its nature. Why? Simply because people have chosen sides and each person will support that side when challenged or sharing. It is a complicated arena because emotions fill the majority of the void not to mention how people believe, act and exist. Its too personal!
4. Fear is an interesting subject. Who wants to admit they are afraid? This by its core means you are weak, incomplete and troublesome so people tend to hide, avoid and live with fear rather than visit and explore. Remember: once you share fears you are subject to manipulation by others who have hidden agendas
5. Sharing what we would like in life makes us vulnerable so we add humor and exaggeration to cover up the vanity, excesses and unnecessary lusts and wants. Money is usually number one on the list with helping others followed by toys, experiences and indulgences of all kinds. The fact that there is a void to be filled is not discussed. NOTE THIS: If in pursuit of happiness, love, contentment or satisfaction money and all its related suggestions cannot buy or enter in here. One must be happy within and add to that not add to it and then be happy. Subtle but very true. Share this and you get selfish arguments. Why?
6. Perhaps the scariest and most personal event I have saved for last. Who are you really? Not who you are pretending or wanting to be, marketing or selling but the TRUE YOU. Most people don't know and fear approaching this for what they might find. Perhaps everything they know or feel is not even their own experience. Whose is it? What to do about it & who has the time to spend on it? Put on hold it stays there
The bare bones of this subject matter is this. Why should something exist if not for the reason to be explored, discovered, improved upon or dismissed? Why do we have the capability to do this? NOT participating is not an answer. The real answer is waiting when you explore the very subject you avoid. It's called growth and it is easier said than done but needs doing none the less