National Dog Day: August 26th
It's National Dog Day today! Are you a dog parent to one or more dogs? If you are... it's your day to go out and celebrate with your dog(s) and to show them your appreciation for their unconditional love and loyalty. It's a wonderful day to do something really special with your dog(s)... or to do something meaningful for dogs, in general, if you're not a dog parent, but a lover of dogs.
National Dog Day was founded by author and animal behaviorist, Colleen Paige, in 2004 not only to show appreciation for dogs, but to bring attention to the plight of abused dogs, to end puppy mills and to bring an end to breed-specific legislation that regulates, or outright bans, certain breeds in the hope of minimizing dog attacks.
15 Ways To Celebrate National Dog Day
1. Adopt a dog from your local shelter or pure breed rescue organization.
2. Do a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your dog.
3. Donate blankets, food and toys to your local dog shelter.
4. Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
5. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state -- this has been a long-running battle in the State of North Carolina, unfortunately.
6. Order a dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com.
7. Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs! If you've got children, let them join in the fun by downloading dog coloring pages.
8. Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
9. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
10. Buy your dog a fun new dog toy....or two...or five. If you live in a cold climate, how about a new sweater?
11. Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort. Or take your dog to the beach or on a hike.
12. Treat your dog to a "doggie spa day."
13. Teach your dog a new trick.
14. Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash.
15. Hire a professional pet photographer for a fun photo shoot.
10 Fun Facts About Dogs
1. Dog noseprints are very much like human fingerprints... no two are exactly alike and can be used to identify them.
2. The most popular male dog names are Max and Buddy. The most popular female dog names are Bella and Molly.
3. French Poodles actually originated in German and aren't French at all.
4. The most popular dog breed in the USA, Canada, and Great Britain is the Labrador Retriever, but if you want to attract the opposite sex, you need a Golden Retriever! The Labrador has been the most popular breed in the USA for over 25 years.
5. Dogs actually do have a sense of time.
6. The Saluki is the world’s oldest dog breed, appearing in ancient Egyptian tombs dating as far back as 2100 B.C. Scientists believe that the world’s first known dog lived some 31,700 years ago, resembling a large Siberian Huskie.
7. Dogs can smell your feelings. A dog’s sense of smell is approximately 100,000 times better than that of a human.
8. Dogs have about 1,700 taste buds compared with humans, who have approximately 9,000 and cats, who have around 473.
9 Dogs are as smart as a 2-year old child and can learn 1,000 words.
10. In 1969, Lassie was the first animal inducted into the Animal Hall of Fame.
Want more fun facts about dogs? Click here for 101 Fun Facts About Dogs.
WHERE TO ADOPT A DOG IN THE CHARLOTTE METRO AREA ON NATIONAL DOG DAY:
HUMANE SOCIETY OF YORK COUNTY
8177 Regent Parkway | Fort Mill, SC 29715
Tuesday through Sunday, 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM
(Closed on Mondays)
CAROLINA P.A.W.S. (PET ADOPTTION & WELFARE SOCIETY)
P.O. Box 365 | Waxhaw, NC 28173
HUMANE SOCIETY OF CHARLOTTE
2700 Toomey Avenue | Charlotte, NC 28203
Shelter Open: Monday – Sunday, 11:00am – 5:00pm
CMPD Animal Care & Control Shelter
8315 Byrun Drive | Charlotte, NC 28217
Shelter Open: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 7:00pm | Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
These are just four places where you can adopt a dog in the Charlotte metro area. Charlotte has numerous rescue societies and shelters, including Greater Charlotte SPCA, Furever Angels Animal Rescue, Precious Paws Rescue.
Dog Quotes "To Live By:"
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." — Josh Billings
"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." — Roger Caras
"A dog will teach you unconditional love." -- Robert Wagner
"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation a the dog does." --Christopher Morley
Happy National Dog Day To All Dogs & Their Parents!
This National Dog Day information is provided by Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners, Coldwell Banker, your Charlotte metro area pet parents and pet-friendly residential real estate experts. We've been opening doors for Charlotte area dogs and their humans for 20+ years.
If you're considering selling or purchasing a home in the Charlotte metro area, I'd love an opportunity to earn your business, exceed your expectations, and to show you how
National Dog Day Featured Image credited to Phoenix Children's Museum