Members of my family gathered for lunch a couple days ago. I made a Creamy Italian Chicken with Tortellini Soup that turned out nice. There was also Grilled Ham and Cheese sandwiches, Cheddar Biscuits, and Apple Pie. A two hour nap soon followed!
The recipe for the soup is below.
Recipe: Creamy Italian Chicken and Tortellini Soup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 32 oz. boxes of Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Chicken cooked and diced (I used a store bought rotiserie chicken)
- 1 package Cheese Tortellini (I use Buitoni Brand from the store's refrigerator section)
- 1 Yellow Sweet Onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced or diced Carrots
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups Sour Cream
- Italian Seasoning (to your taste)
- Salt (to your taste)
- Chopped Fresh Parsley
In large pot, lightly saute the chopped onions, minced garlic and celery in a couple tablespoons of butter. Add in the carrots. Add the chicken broth, salt and Italian seasoning. Add in the diced chicken. When the carrots are tender, drop in the tortellini, sour cream and fresh parsley. Stir until the sour cream is completely blended with the broth. Continue cooking until the tortellini are done (about 15 minutes).
*With this recipe, I made a small bouquet of fresh herbs from my garden (Sage, Rosemary and Thyme). I tied them together with string and put them in the pot at the same time as the broth. I discarded the bouquet before serving.