Mold – the word itself is enough to make a person cringe. Mold can be good at times, it is essential in the making brie and penicillin, for example, and necessary for the decomposition of organic matter in nature – but molds can also be nasty, especially when it grows undetected to your home.
The best approach to preventing mold from growing is simple, control the moisture. Below are the lists of ways on how you can control humidity and avoid mold damage.
1. Identify affected areas in your home and correct them
You can’t mold-proof your home, but you can make it mold resistant. Do an audit of your home: where is the problem or affected areas? Whether there is a water stain on the ceiling from a leak or when you notice frequent condensation on an upstairs window. Preventing mold from growing or spreading might be as simple as ripping up carpet in a damp basement, installing mold-resistant products or repairing damaged gutters. Whatever the case is, address the problem immediately. It might cost you some money upfront, but it will surely be more costly down the road if mold continues to grow unchecked.
2. Dry wet areas immediately
Mold can’t grow without moisture, so check in wet areas right away. If you have experienced a flood, remove water-damaged carpets, bedding, and furniture if they can’t be dehydrated. Even everyday occurrences need attention. Do not leave wet items lying around the house and make sure to dry the floors and walls after a shower or after cleaning the dishes on the kitchen sink.
3. Prevent moisture with proper ventilation
It may be your domestic routines are the ones encouraging mold in your home. Make sure an activity as simple as cooking dinner, taking a shower or doing a load of laundry doesn’t invite mold by providing proper ventilation in your kitchen, bathroom, laundry area, and any other high-moisture area.
Mold spores spread quickly and cannot be wholly eradicated. Mold can grow anywhere: on carpet, clothing, food, paper, and even in places you can’t see, such as backside drywall, areas inside walls around leaking or condensing pipes, and above ceiling tiles. Not only is mold problem difficult and costly to fix, but it can also produce allergens and irritants that may compromise your health. So before it’s too late do you part and check your home.