I Shih Tzu Not!
Animal lovers adore their pets, often dressing them up in designer duds, bathing and blowing them dry, tying ribbons in their hair, dining with them, polishing toe nails, walking them in baby carriages, buying purses to stow them, transporting them in trains, planes, boats and automobiles when traveling.
But don't expect them to lease their investment properties to people with pets for the following reasons...
While home shopping one day with a client, we walked inside a tenant-occupied home with the most wonderful smells. He was cooking Mexican food, yum! Upon closer inspection of the house, there were dog droppings, mystery stain smears on the carpeting and deep gouges in the baseboards which looked like teeth marks.
A previously leased home for sale offered an extremely strong animal urine smell -before- opening the front door. We braved it, only to find the carpet crunchy in places, claw marks on all the insides of bedroom/bathroom doors and gouges in the trim around every door. It appeared the past renters left the dogs alone - A LOT!
Some people are seriously allergic to animals and when not warned of their presence, can cause a serious health episode once across the threshold into a house. A client had to run for the door because there was a cat present. It was not noted on the MLS and until that very moment, I had no idea he was highly sensitive!
Damage deposits are often not enough to actually pay for the destruction of property that may occur:
- Cats may spray a foul-smelling liquid to mark territory, claw at the carpet in doorways, conveniently urinate and scratch walls to sharpen their nails.
- Dogs can break gates and screen doors, destroy landscapes by digging, scratch hard floor surfaces and when in heat, can leave blood everywhere.
- Birds can be dirty and unsanitary, leaving feathers, dander and droppings everywhere they land. The feces harden, making it difficult to remove.
- Farm animals, such as mini horses, pigs and goats can cause considerable damage to interiors when left unattended, bringing down property values.
- Wild animals...well, it's obvious what can happen. No details necessary!
Here in southern Utah, there are pet-friendly apartments and single family homes available. Property management companies require a pet deposit and will charge for any/all of the above damages mentioned.
Prior to making that move, it's in your best interests to check on pet-friendly lease opportunities or be unpleasantly surprised, I Shih Tzu not!
And when you're ready to buy a home, contact me to help achieve you and your pet's residential real estate goals because Wanda Can!