How do I know if my carpet is clean, or if it needs to be cleaned? Thankfully, it’s easy to figure that out! If you find some stains on your carpet (the worst stains on carpet flooring are the ones that reach the very bottom), this article will help you determine your carpet’s health through them! Now are carpet stains permanent? In some cases, yes, but if you know how to steam clean carpet yourself, or even if you don’t know how to get old coffee stains out of the carpet or any other ugly liquid for that matter, this won’t be a tough matter…as long as you act fast!
How Do I Know If My Carpet is Clean?
There are various signs that you should look for if you’re wondering, “How do I know if my carpet is clean?” Some of those signs include if you haven’t cleaned your carpet in over a year, if you’re suffering from indoor allergies, if it’s looking dirty and if there are visible stains.
When Does Carpet Need to Be Cleaned?
There are signs that will tell outright that it’s time to clean up your carpet. Examine your flooring and check if any of these apply to you:
- If you haven’t cleaned your carpet in over a year, then should contact a carpet cleaning service first. Afterwards, you should do regular cleanings to extend your carpet’s lifespan.
- If you’re suffering from indoor allergies, maybe it’s because of the dust build up in the carpet. You’ll have to clean it up as soon as you can to avoid further health issues.
- Is your carpet looking dirty? Especially the areas covered by furniture pieces? Maybe it’s time to hire a professional to get rid of that dust!
- If there are visible stains on your carpet, then we have bad news: if you don’t clean them soon such as coffee stains, they might never go away! The worst stains on carpets might become permanent, so you might need professional help in order to remove them. That’s why you have to act fast!
When Do You Need a New Carpet?
Although professional services usually get the job done, sometimes you simply need a new carpet. If you don’t know when you need a replacement, then check if any of these apply to you:
- If your carpet is permanently stained, then it’s time to replace it. Professional cleaners are great at removing tough stains, but if they sit at the very bottom of the carpet, especially those of bleach, tea, wine, and even biological stains (like vomit), then it’s time to get rid of it. Aside of the ugliness, the mold they create will become health hazards!
- Does your carpet look worn and torn? Even if it’s clean? Then it means the carpet won’t resist much longer before it gets completely torn off. Time to get a new one!
- Is there a lingering smell where your carpet is located? It means that some stains or odor has penetrated deeply into the carpet. Sometimes it’s better to just replace it than trying to remove the smell (most efforts end up in vain).
- Check the padding under the carpet. If it’s in bad shape, it might start to cause smelling problems sooner or later, so you should replace it before it’s too late.
- Answer honestly: how old is your carpet? If it’s around 8 or 10 years, it won’t last much longer, even if it’s properly cared for.
Which is My Best Option?
As we said, if you clean your carpet regularly, you can keep it for a longer time. However, if you happen to neglect it for some reason or another, maybe it’s time for a new carpet. Be on the lookout for the signs we just numbered and you’ll know when it’s time for a new one, preferably one of the easiest carpets to clean.
If you hope to do the cleaning yourself, then here are some useful tips.
How many times should I rinse my carpet?
If you walk daily over your carpet, rinse it at least once or twice per year (if it’s light colored, then more often). If you don’t, then you can shampoo it only every 18 months.
How do you shampoo carpet?
So, as a conclusion, how do I know if my carpet is clean? First, if you clean it regularly and if it doesn’t show any stains; or, if it does, they’re easy to clean (the worst stains on carpet flooring are the ones that have been there for a longer time). If you know how to steam clean carpet yourself or just hire professional services to do the job regularly, then rest assured that your carpet is still healthy. Now, are carpet stains permanent? Only a handful, but even if you know how to get old coffee stains out of carpet flooring, or any other kind of stain, sometimes the only answer is to get a new carpet, at least as a security measure. Remember: carpets could affect your health too!