Pow! September 25 is National Comic Book Day!
Whether a fan of Marvel, DC, Archie, or Disney, this is a day to know! National Comic Book Day is a day set aside to show appreciation for the art form known as a "comic book".
It's not to be confused with Free Comic Book Day in May, which is about encouraging people of all ages to read by giving away free comics. rather than give freebies.
(Above: Some of my husband's comic friends hanging out in our home)
There's a Comic Book out there for everyone! Below are some popular TV series or movies that either were originally inspired by a comic book or continued as a comic book:
- The Walking Dead is based off a comic of the same name
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer has had additional off-air seasons created in the form of comics
- The CW's Riverdale & the cartoon Josie & the Pussycats are based off of Archie Comics
- Disney's Big Hero Six is based off a Marvel comic of the same name
- Casper the Friendly Ghost & Richie Rich are based off comic series by Harvey Comics
- Men in Black came from a comic series published by what is now known as Marvel Comics
- The Smurfs were originally a Belgian comic series also called The Smurfs
The recent Netflix original series' about the Defenders: Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Daredevil, are based on comic book characters of the same names.
To encourage reading, many classic novels including "The Three Musketeers", "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and "The Scarlet Pimpernel" have been made into comic books. These happen to be some of the comics I enjoy.
Comic books inspire many media, even if they seem like "picture books" to some folks.
Comics and graphic novels are an art form where artists and storytellers can create as large and detailed a story as they like-limited only by how much paper they (or their publishers) can afford to print!
Being married to a long-time comic collector, I periodically find myself at Comic-Con, Wonder-Con and other comic conventions and events. To keep myself financially safely occupied, I search the "cheap bins" for old school comics from my childhood. It's fun to discover an old Disney comic starring a favorite character, such as Scrooge McDuck.
Chances are, with how many books are out there, you can find a comic book about something you love or are interested in.
Image provided by Nerdist.com.
Thanks for reading "Pow! September 25 is National Comic Book Day! "