North Kohala is a majestic area located at the northern tip of the Big Island of Hawaii. It is home to the two small towns of Hawi and Kapa’au. Hawi is most famous for being the bicycle turnaround point for the annual Ironman World Championship held each October, and its charming downtown area contains many small shops, and restaurants, including the famous Bamboo Restaurant. Hawi is also the 2nd office location of Hawaii Luxury Real Estate.
The other small town, Kapaa’u, also contains a small downtown area with assorted shops and cafes, and is home to the original King Kamehama I Statue. A little farther south down the coast is where the gated, upscale communities of Kohala Ranch, Kohala By-the-Sea and Kohala Waterfront are located.
North Kohala contains miles of pastoral, undeveloped land, as well as a variety of beautiful homes, from small plantation homes to large estates, many with stunning ocean views. The southern end of North Kohala contains the gated communities of Kohala Ranch, containing many luxury homes with large lots, as well as many acreage lots where you can build your own Hawaiian dream home. The most alluring character of the Kohala Ranch area is that virtually every home and lot features panoramic ocean views.
At the time of this writing (Sept 1st), there were 57 homes for sale in the North Kohala area and 15 homes in escrow. In the land lot market, there are 122 lots for sale, with 4 lots in escrow. There are no condos located in North Kohala, so there are no statistics for that market segment. Of the homes for sale, the highest priced one is an almost waterfront home located at 59-134 Kihi Kihi Pl in Kohala Waterfront and is listed at $3,700,000.
The highest priced land lot for sale is listed at $18,500,000 and is 498 pristine acres on Lokahi Rd in Kapa’au. At the other end of the spectrum, the lowest priced home on the market is located at 53-4389 Akoni Pule Hwy in Kapa’au, a fixer upper listed at the low price of $110,000, while the lowest priced lot for sale is 3 acres on Ka Nani Dr in Kohala Ranch, currently listed at $159,000.
Sales continue to be steady in North Kohala, with the Q2 time frame of April through June 2019 seeing 21 homes and 12 land lots sold. The highest priced of these homes is located at 55-3287 Hoea Makai Rd in Hawi. It was listed at $5,800,000 and sold for $2,750,000. The highest priced land lot to sell went for $550,000 from a list price of $595,000. It is 29.2 acres located in Kapa’au.
The lowest priced home to sell in North Kohala was listed at $212,000 and sold for $192,800. It is located at 55-3429 Keawe Iki St in Hawi, while the lowest priced lot to sell went for $85,000 from a list price of $143,000. It is a 14,898 sq ft lot in Hawi.
Analysis: Sales volume and inventory levels in North Kohala continue to remain steady, keeping the house market in North Kohala in a balanced market. But if you are looking for raw land, lots are plentiful and North Kohala continues to be in Buyers’ Market.
If you are looking to buy or sell a home in the North Kohala area, or anywhere on the Kohala Coast, contact me today. I will help make your Hawaiian Real Estate dreams a reality. You can read real estate market updates of other areas on the Kohala Coast on the Market Update Page of my website.
Highlights of the North Kohala Q2 2019 Market Update
- Number of homes currently for sale – 57
- Number of homes currently in escrow – 15
- Number of land lots currently for sale - 122
- Number of land lots currently in escrow - 4
- Highest priced home currently for sale – $3,700,000 – 59-134 Kihi Kihi Pl, Kohala Waterfront
- Highest priced land lot currently for sale - $18,500,000 – 498 Acres, Lokahi Rd, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced home currently for sale – $110,000 - 53-4389 Akoni Pule Hwy, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced land lot currently for sale - $159,900 – 3 Acres, Ka Nani Dr, Kohala Ranch
- Number of homes sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) – 21
- Number of land lots sold in Q2 (Apr – Jun) - 12
- Highest priced home sold in Q2 – $2,750,000 55-3287 Hoea Makai Rd, Hawi
- Highest priced land lot sold in Q2 - $550,000 – 29.2 Acres, Kapa’au
- Lowest priced home sold in Q2 - $192,800 - 55-3429 Keawe Iki St, Hawi
- Lowest priced land lot sold in Q2 - $85,000 – 14,898 sq ft, Hawi Village, Hawi
If you enjoyed this update, you may like Kohala Market Update for August 2019.
First published at www.ViewHawaiiLuxuryHomes.com/MarketUpdates