Sister Bay Gears up for its 74th Annual
Fall Festival in 2019
What started as a local "good-bye to our tourist visitors" party for the year-round residents of Sister Bay closing their seasonal businesses has grown into a truly huge economic and social event in northern Door County. Of course, I'm talking about Fall Festival in Sister Bay, and as we get ready for the 74th year of northern Door's Fall Festival, we'll talk about how the festivities have evolved.
The year was 1945; World War II had just ended, and tourism in Door County was really just coming into its own. Door County had been "discovered" in the age of the steam boat by visitors from Chicago and Milwaukee arriving via Lake Michigan looking to escape the heat in the early 1900s. When the tourists left that year, the Villagers were in a celebratory mood and the locals decided to throw themselves a party in the streets of Sister Bay with food, music and (of course, this being Wisconsin) some beer.
With the advance of the automobile, Door County, with it's much-advertised "natural air conditioning" (and this is true, you only need an air conditioner in the Baileys Harbor area a few days each year) became a "gas tank getaway" for visitors from the Twin Cities and as far as Iowa and Ohio. In the 1920s and 1930s, hundreds of cherry and apple orchards had been planted and come into (literal) "fruition". However, because of rustic road conditions and because many summer homes were literally built only for warm weather, and when travel by boat became dangerous because of gales and high winds (October/November), many businesses would close for the season. The local vernacular was that "you could roll a bowling ball down the Sister Bay hill and not hit a car after Columbus Day weekend" (and someone must have tried this in the 1950s, as the Sister Bay Bowl is positioned prominently on top of the hill and has been in operation since 1950, five years after the party started).
The GOOD NEWS is that Sister Bay is now a year-round Village (with doctors, dentists, lawyers, a northern Door County pharmacy, year-round grocery store and much, much more--including a winter sports facility), but the party has grown and continued to the point where it is actually an economic indicator of how well businesses in northern Door County do over Pumpkin Patch Festival (Egg Harbor) and Fall Festival weekend, as the two busiest Door County festival weekends of the year (which coincide with our pumpkin and apple harvests). People come by the hundreds of thousands over this two week period to see local leaf color (voted some of the best in the United States via USA Today) and enjoy our local apple orchards and the fruits of the season.
So in honor of Sister Bay's Fall Festival this weekend, we bring you the Schedule of Events for the three day local holiday, where food, music and fun for all ages is to be had, while we showcase our featured Sister Bay properties for sale. Our office is located across from the Sister Bay Marina....feel free to stop by to grab a Homes & More Real Estate Guide or find out local market conditions while you are visiting Sister Bay. Our featured Fall Festival homes and condominiums for sale are shown below:
1. 10628 Forest Lane, Sister Bay, WI 54234. This home has it all! You can walk to the beach, a nearby golf course, restaurants, shopping and much more....yet be in a private, secluded setting with a pond. The home features hardwood floors, granite counter-tops, four bedrooms and three full baths....plus a floor-to-ceiling Door County field stone fireplace. To learn more about 10628 Forest Lane, Sister Bay, WI check here.
2. For a maintenance-free lifestyle on the water, you can't do better than Crows Nest Estates, where your dues will take care of all mowing, shoveling and landscaping needs. And in this 3 bedroom (plus office), 3 1/2 bath home at 10703 Admiral Drive in Sister Bay, Wisconsin, you'll also enjoy hardwood floors, a fireplace, a screened-in porch to enjoy bug-free evenings, a gourmet kitchen and MUCH more. Crows Nest Estates is Sister Bay's premier luxury condominium community. Learn more about 10703 Admiral Drive, Unit 502, Sister Bay WI 54234 here.
3. 10552 S. Highland Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234 is for sale, and this is a great year-round or vacation home in a lovely neighborhood in uptown Sister Bay, where you can walk to everything you love about Sister Bay. The open-concept, split floor plan allows for a master suite on one end near the laundry room and overnight guests can enjoy the other 2 bedrooms. Offered with a 2 car attached garage and bonus room, this is a great way to get your "foot in the Door" at an affordable price for Sister Bay living. 10552 S. Highland Road is offered at $289,900.00, learn more about this Sister Bay home for sale here.
4. 11154 Hillcrest Road, Sister Bay is NEW CONSTRUCTION and will be ready for the 2020 season! Work with the popular architect/builder to customize this modern farmhouse-style home with 3 bedrooms and 3 baths. Learn more about this new construction Sister Bay home at 11154 Hillcrest Road, Sister Bay, Liberty Grove here.
5. 10679 Forest Lane, Sister Bay, WI 54234 is one of Sister Bay's finest in-land home estates....but Bay-side water access is available with membership to Bay Shore Estates, just a short walk down the road. This custom-crafted, Craftsman-style delight is in a private setting, yet an easy walk or bike ride downtown. With three bedrooms, 2 fireplaces plus a guest house and studio/office space, you'll have all the room you need to work and play. Learn more about our one-of-a-kind offering at 10679 Forest Lane, Sister Bay, WI 54234 here.
6. This is your LAST opportunity to own at the new-construction Marina View Condominiums in downtown Sister Bay. Located at 10722 Bay Shore Drive in downtown Sister Bay, this home scores a 10 out of 10 on the Walkability Scale, features a STUNNING water view, and is even available furnished. You MUST plan your tour of Marina View Condominiums and see this final unit for sale at 10722 Bay Shore Drive, Unit 104, Sister Bay, WI 54234 TODAY. Learn more about this one-of-a-kind opportunity for luxury living downtown here.
check out that view!!
7. 2415 Flint Ridge Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234 offers so much for the discerning purchaser! You will enjoy this gorgeous country home located within biking distance from downtown Sister Bay, but in a very private setting on ten acres. Four bedrooms (plus office), gourmet kitchen, fireplace, wet bar and wood stove, three car garage, bonus storage and even a pole barn for your toys will complete this package. Too many details to mention, but we have to mention the SPA ROOM with fireplace! Learn more about 2415 Flint Ridge Road, Sister Bay, WI 54234 here.
8. Cute-as-a button cottage at 10830 Bay Shore Drive, Sister Bay, WI 54234 is a short walk to downtown and the beach, but priced to sell at only $199,900.00! Enjoy this 2 bedroom, 1 bath vacation cottage with fireplace that is priced to sell....all a short distance from the Sister Bay Beach and Marina! Learn more here.
9. 11602 Beach Haven Lane, Sister Bay, Liberty Grove....a beautiful meadow setting, close to both Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, parks and waterfront....this 3 bedroom, 1 bath home has a lovely Door County stone fireplace, wrap around porch, and may prove JUST the perfect getaway spot or first-time home in a great location. Learn more about 11602 Beach Haven Lane for sale here.
In a nutshell---we hope you enjoy a safe and enjoyable Fall Festival weekend, but we also hope you fall in love with all of the charms of Sister Bay as so many have in the past 74 years....and we can help. You can search all Sister Bay, Wisconsin home listings here. Or you can search all of Sister Bay, Wisconsin's condominium listings (except for our Marina View Condo exclusive listed above) in all price points by checking here.
ENJOY A SAFE AND WONDERFUL
FALL FESTIVAL WEEKEND IN SISTER BAY!