You know the odor. It’s that musty, dank, damp, earthy, and altogether unpleasant smell that’s immediately recognizable. Call it mold or mildew, it’s not good news and it’s growing everywhere around us on the Island – in basements, crawl spaces, attics, on clothing, shoes, and furniture.
Our homes and cars are susceptible to mold growth for a variety of reasons, but no matter what the cause, mold can lead to both illness and compromised real estate values. Experts agree that mold’s needs are simple: food (such as sheetrock, wood, or fabric), a suitable place to grow, and moisture. Even dust that settles in the right place can provide a steady diet.
Mold can enter your home through open doors, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Airborne mold can also be conveniently carried indoors by piggybacking on clothing, shoes, bags, and pets. It flourishes almost anywhere that provides sufficient moisture or humidity.
The most commonly reported health problems from exposure to mold are respiratory in nature – sneezing, stuffiness, coughing, wheezing, and throat irritation. Rashes and eye irritation are also typical reactions for those who are sensitive to mold. People with actual mold allergies may have more severe reactions, including shortness of breath, and more vulnerable populations – those with immune system problems and the elderly – may be more likely to get serious infections in their lungs.
Need a Mold Inspection? Need a Mold Assessment? Are you getting sick at home?
Visit us at: www.INDOORMICROBIALSPECIALIST.com or call us at: (850) 814-3889
We are located in The Villages and in Gainesville Florida. www.HOMEINSPECTORUSA.biz