After negotiating hard, really hard, my sellers decided to accept what they considered a low offer. It was lower than they'd hoped, but they just wanted to be "done with it", and get it over with. They had moved out of the home, and were now living out of state supporting two households while we were listed.
Clearly the buyers didn't see the value we felt.
After completing their inspection... the buyers decided to add a radon inspection... (adds 48 hours) We came out clean. .. then they decided to add a termite inspection (took two visits and another 48-hour delay.. no termites). Meanwhile my clients were trimming their fingernails with their incisors.
Finally receiving the inspection results... the buyers were looking for an additional $50,000 in credits and repairs.
The camel's back fractured. My sellers instructed me to tell the buyers to "Go and love themselves" (to quote Justin Bieber). We sent off a letter to the buyer's agent, and let them know, slightly more politely than my buyers wanted us to, that we were officially cancelling the contract.
We got a frantic voicemail, email and text from the buyer's agent asking "Can't we discuss this?... the buyers will be very upset!".
No... the time to discuss it is over. The SELLERs are very upset, and they've decided to put the property back on the market and see if they can find someone who appreciates the property that they've poured their hearts, souls and money into.