The earlier post about 6 seasons, needed a follow-up, ...
Locking has arrived.
Frost has killed the annuals, leaves are coming off the trees, you need a coat in the morning and forget to take it home when you leave work. We use heat in the morning and air conditioning in the afternoon because it has warmed up so much. During the locking season, you have unique maintenance items to do:
- Cleaning the gutters, an almost daily job
- Trimming the annuals, cutting back the foundation shrubs and taking out the dead limbs
- Last mowing and trimming of the grass, now is a great time to edge the walks and driveways.
- Caulk any new holes in the siding and make sure the foundation door is closed and locked—do not close the foundation vents, houses need to breathe
- The locking season is not a good time to paint or stain because of the temperature changes so make a list for the spring season.
- Purge, all the clothes in the closet that have not been used this year-let someone else have the use of these items. Less is more.
- Have the chimney checked and cleaned, have the valleys of the roof cleaned.
Before winter arrives this is a great time to check inside and out and do some simple maintenance that will make your home more comfortable for the winter to come.
My last suggestion is one that we have been doing for several years, find an elderly neighbor to check on and include in your family activities. They will enrich your life, loneliness is a real killer this time of year.