Sometimes, like the great David Bowie song suggests, you have to make some Ch Ch Ch Changes! Last year was full of changes for me. I closed one of my companies, added weekly newspaper marketing, earned a new real estate designation, started creating videos and devoted more time to fitness. It was a big change in focus and, more specifically, here is what I changed.
1) My companies-For the last 10 years or so I would run my painting business in the morning and my real estate business in the afternoon and evening. It seemed like a good match and I was able to help many real estate clients utilizing my paint crew, but there just was not enough time in the day so, in July, I completed my last painting work. It has allowed me to spend a lot more time with my real estate clients. It was a difficult change for me. My clients are my friends and saying no them was very difficult when they offered me new work. Still, it was the right thing to do.
2) Marketing-I decided I needed to be all in. I have always utilized social media, but I decided to expand into areas that I had previously ignored. One of my last painting contracts was for a marketer at the Sacramento Bee. We decided together to run an advertisement on a weekly basis. Except for a few weeks during the holidays, we have been successful and my clients have noticed.
3) SRES Designation-Yes, my wife and I are now seniors (or near seniors at least) and are doing many things that seniors do, downsizing, relocating, using 1031 exchanges and much more. Recently, I decided to obtain a Senior Real Estate Specialist Designation. This will be a new niche for me going forward.
4) Activerain-I refocused on Activerain a few months ago. It is making a big difference being exposed to so many really good agents and their collective knowledge. My network is expanding and I am learning about new areas across the United States. One of those areas may end up as the place we retire to in a few years. Activerain has really helped me define the kind of agent that I would like to be.
5) Video-This was a tough one, but I did start creating videos. The things I do for my clients. ;o) (See Below)
6) Running-This is one I started about four years ago with Runnin for Rhett. Running has helped me get in better shape and feel better. Recently, I added weight training to my weekly routine. It seems like the more success I have staying fit, the better I do as an agent.
What does all the changes have in common? A new, sharper focus. Only time will tell if the changes make 2020 even a better year than 2019.