Water damage inside the home may result from heavy rains or storms, which can cause flooding on the streets and water entering your house. Also, it may result from firefighting efforts and malfunctioning or deterioration of the plumbing system.
Neglecting to resolve even minor water damage issues may aggravate the problem, causing extensive damages, like mold growth. That’s why any signs of water damage should be addressed immediately.
Check out these helpful tips on how to address different water damages in your home, so you’ll know what to do if you encounter minor or major flooding or water dagame problem.
Flood Control for Immediate Water Damages
Right after assuring your safety, it’s important to avoid further water damage through effective flood control and management. Take note that this procedure is best carried out by a professional water damage restoration company, but you can take preliminary measures to address immediate water damage.
Here are steps you have to do to control and manage flood to avoid further water damage:
● Shut Off Power: Water and electricity should never be together. Otherwise, it’ll result from firing accident or electrocution, risking your health and safety.
That’s why you have to cut off gas and electricity from their main source.
● Assess the Water Damage: Take photos and other important documentation to show it to your insurance company, most especially if you’re paying for special home insurance.
Take note that most home insurance policies don’t cover water damage that results from external causes, like sewer overflows and floods. Also, home insurance won’t cover water damages caused by broken pipes. They would only cover internal and sudden water damages.
● Prioritize: Removing your most valuable possessions, such as money, jewelry, and heirlooms, should be carried out first before rescuing other items.
Once you’ve carried out the right measures, you can save your belongings from getting damaged by flooding.
Dealing With Obvious Water Damages
Standing water that sits for too long can cause more damage. You can start pumping out standing water as soon as you’re safe. This strategy applies if the flood is caused by internal factors, such as a burst water pipe.
Here are some helpful expert tips when dealing with obvious water damages:
● If a natural disaster has caused the flood, it’s best to wait until the floodwater receded below the house before pumping the water out.
● Make sure to wear the right protective gear, such as wearing gloves, a mask or respirator, or rubber boots when you’re pumping water out in a natural flood area.
● For a minor amount of flooding, you can wet-dry vacuum the area to remove water.
Mold and Mildew Damage
After a general water damage cleanup, you have to inspect for the presence of mold and mildew damage after the flooding. It’s not easy to deal with mildewed grout and moldy drywall. That’s why mold growth should be addressed right away.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent and address mold problems caused by water damage:
● Control Dampness: Damp crawlspaces cause mold formation, most especially in basements, walls, and attics.
Control dampness by ensuring proper ventilation and keeping your attic and crawlspaces dry. Also, route water away from your home’s foundation and stop leaks.
● Invest in A Big Enough Bath Fan: A big enough bath fan should clear out moisture in your bathroom after five to 10 minutes. You can determine your bathroom’s fan capacity by multiplying the square footage of your bathroom by 1.1.
● Clean Visible Mold Promptly: You can use a water and bleach solution to clean mold after flooding. You can control surface mold in shady areas by painting it with mildewcide.
A carpet that’s thoroughly soaked in floodwater caused by external flooding should be checked for the presence of sewage. It’s best to dispose of these carpets because they carry millions of germs. Don’t risk you and your family’s health and safety by saving carpets soaked in contaminated water.
Also, it’s a good idea to hire a professional carpet cleaner to clean your carpet. Steam or hot water extraction is performed to eliminate tiny particles and harmful microorganisms. Make sure to completely dry your carpet before using it for DIY carpet cleaning.
Water damages come in many forms, including immediate and stagnant or long-standing water damages caused by external or internal factors. Obvious water damages can be addressed by pumping out water or using a wet-dry vacuum cleaner.