Different areas of your home can be affected when flood waters enter your property. If water leaks into and floods the house, it will damage your carpet, flooring, and foundation. You're also likely to face electrical and plumbing issues after flooding, which can consume a lot of time, money, and effort to fix.
In this post, you'll learn about common restoration repairs for flood damage so you'll have guidance regarding the right steps to take if you are ever faced with a flooding situation.
Mold Growth And Infiltration Removal
One of the most common types of repair work that’s required after flooding is mold remediation. It's usually carried out after a general cleanup. Floodwater can cause mold growth and formation in ceilings, walls, and floor areas. In such cases, it is recommended that you seek professional assistance as specialists bring the kind of expertise that cannot be replicated by homeowners. If you happen to live in Utah, you'll find that the Utah flood damage restoration company is great at helping prevent further spread of mold and mildew inside your home.
A highly recommended solution for eliminating mold spores is encapsulation, wherein the affected area is sprayed with a type of whitewash or paint. It encapsulates any remaining mold spores after cleanup. A mold remediation company will spray beyond the moldy areas to ensure zero chance of mold growth. For instance, if the attic area exhibits mold formation, the company will spray your entire attic.
Here are the important benefits of seeking mold remediation services after flooding:
● Professional flood damage restoration specialists have dedicated tools and equipment, such as thermal imaging cameras, to assess the presence of mold, especially in hidden areas where they love to thrive.
● A mold remediation company can analyze hidden water sources, check gaps in wall insulation and ceiling cavities, and discover any moisture infiltration.
● Save time and effort on performing a DIY mold remediation task, which can be hazardous to your health if you do not use the right protective gear, cleaning tools and equipment.
Carpet Damage Repair
Carpet cleaning is an absolute must after flooding. Flood water brings dirt, germs, and mud to your carpets, rendering them difficult to clean. However, flooded carpets can still be saved. If your carpet has only been soaked by rainwater or leakage from the kitchen sink, you can have it professionally cleaned and dried.
For health and safety reasons, cleaning experts strongly recommend discarding carpets that have been contaminated by floodwaters tainted with sewage.This is because Infectious organisms can embed themselves in your carpet and start multiplying there, resulting in increased healthcare costs.
Check out these helpful tips when trying to decide if you need to save or discard your rugs and carpets:
● All rugs and carpets with foam backing should be discarded if they're soaked with contaminated water. Don’t compromise your own and your family’s health by saving contaminated carpets and rugs.
● If you still prefer to save carpets and rugs soaked with contaminated water, seek the help of a professional cleaning company so that their steam-cleaning or hot-water extraction method will be used to eliminate germs.
Your flooring can be significantly affected by flooding and lose its structural integrity, warranting prompt repairs. If you have solid wood flooring, the wood material that’s soaked with flood water will face a heightened risk of mold growth or could lose its durability.
Thick mud, sewage, and other sediments can stick to your flooring, causing undue damage. Consulting a professional in flood damage restoration will help you assess if your flooring can still be saved or if you need to start considering replacing it.
Fire Damage Restoration Repairs
Flooding can also be caused by fire fighting procedures, leaving your belongings damaged by fire and water. Fire damage restoration services involve mitigating damage resulting from smoke through cleanups, and implementing water restoration immediately after declaring a fire completely extinguished.
Here are the most common fire damage restoration services:
● Fire Damage Assessment: Inspection and testing of adjacent rooms of your home will be carried out to know the extent of damage caused by soot, smoke, and fire.
● Water Removal: If there's obvious water damage, air movers and dehumidifiers will be used to completely remove water and dry the flooded areas of your home.
● Smoke and Soot Removal: Fire damage restoration professionals will use proven techniques and specialized equipment to remove soot and smoke from walls, ceilings, and other surfaces.
General cleanup, carpet cleaning, and mold remediation are the usual procedures that should be carried out after flooding. Floodwater may carry harmful microorganisms and mold spores, causing health problems like allergies and asthma, and damage to your home's structure, like your walls, ceilings, and flooring. That's why seeking professional help from a trusted flood damage restoration company is advisable to avoid costly repairs later on and ensure quality results.