Celebrate pets on February 20th, National Love Your Pet Day. Most households in the United States have at least one pet, and surprisingly there are more cats kept as companions than dogs. Pets provide affection, entertainment and companionship to many people. Comment on social media at #NationalLoveYourPetDay.
Pets are not limited to canines and felines. Some folks prefer the companionship of birds, reptiles, fish or rats.
Spending a time with pets lowers both stress and blood pressure. So on February 20 (and every day) show appreciation to your pets in one or several of these ways:
- Provide a special treat.
- Take an extra-long walk.
- Give them extra attention and affection.
- Check that their vaccines are up to date.
- Watch a pet video with them full of cats, dogs and other critters.
- Give them a few extra strokes with the brush while grooming.
- Practice their favorite commands – sit, shake, rollover.
- Play their favorite game or bring out their best toy.
- Inspect their toys to make sure they’re in good shape. Throw out any broken toys.
- Wash their bedding, even if it’s not their laundry day. Let them fluff it up just the way they like it.
If you don't have a pet, maybe take a trip to your local Humane Society, and bring home an animal that needs you. It will make you both feel good. There are many local animal adoption options available, and that means there's certainly a fuzzy, feathered, or scaly friend out there just right for you and your family.
Prince Hobbes (left)
Princess Taffy (right)
Thanks for reading "Meow, Ruff, February 20 is National Love Your Pet Day".