The Perks of Living in My Community
~ ActiveRain Challenge for March 2020 ~
I bet most, if not all, of us really like where we live and find it easy to talk about why that’s so, especially when asked by buyers.
We know buyers are not just searching for the right house, but for the neighborhood that fits their particular lifestyle and needs. Buyers search for homes, but also areas that appeal to them and the amenities they offer.
It’s clear that posts about larger communities and individual neighborhoods typically get a lot of traffic, and are of interest to prospective buyers, and perhaps others just interested in reading about where they live or areas near their homes.
As an example, I have multiple neighborhood (community) posts on AR that have more than 20,000, and even 30,000, views since I wrote them; if you’ve written similar posts you no doubt have found they’ve received a fair amount of traffic (to check and see, go to your stats page and click on “views” to sort posts from high to low).
When done properly community posts can and should be ever-green, creating a long shelf life to continue to attract readers, perhaps for years. Going back and tweaking them with updates when appropriate, and fixing links, is a good thing to do.
Another benefit of a well-done and informative community post is that you can use them in your marketing when you have listings in those areas.
THE MARCH CHALLENGE
Your challenge is to write a post about the perks of living in your community, or one you know about (this was inspired, in part, by a comment from Debb Janes EcoBroker and Bernie Stea JD on a recent post I wrote where they remarked about enjoying the perks where they lived).
Here are some ideas about information you can share in your post:
1. What attracts people to your community?
2. Why do people, and you, like living there?
3. Talk about community features and amenities – restaurants, tourist attractions, shopping, recreation, parks, hiking, special events like fairs and festivals, the arts, and so on.
4. What’s the housing like?
5. Chat about the weather?
6. Share anything else that you think will interest others about your community or things they should know, and tell us what YOU know and have learned.
7. Be sure to include some links that will be helpful for readers to learn more.
Of course there are some rules in order to get your 1500 points.
1. Your post should be at least 350 words – I’d be surprised if you can write an effective community post that doesn’t exceed this requirement.
2. You can write about the community where you actually live, or another one. The post may be about a community you’ve not written about before, or you can significantly rework a prior community post with updated or new information and different photos. Perhaps you have an old community post that wasn’t very detailed and really could be improved and brought into 2020!
3. Include AT LEAST 2 original photos of your community, and even more if you want to really show off where you live to readers.
4. The challenge ends on Tuesday March 31st at 11:59 PM PST
5. You must include a working link to your post in the comment section below by the deadline of the challenge.
EARN 250 BONUS POINTS
To make your community post even more appealing and informative, stretch your talents, and earn bonus points, include an original video relevant to your community – it could be an overview, or just focus on a particular amenity or event. This should be a new video, not one you’ve created and shared before.
You might want to read the YouTube Thursdays post by Debb and Bernie, Showcase Your Community, It’s Good for Your Brand, for some ideas and guidance on creating a great community video (and, by the way, if you aren’t following them you may want to do so for excellent education on videos every week).
For your creative efforts you will be rewarded with views and likes on your post, views on YouTube (or Vimeo) for your video, and lots of points!!
Plus you’ll have a post you can share with prospective buyers, relocations, and when you have a listing in the community.
Remember, you have the entire month of March to get creative and share what you know, plus have fun, with some great benefits! DEADLINE IS MARCH 31 at 11:59 PM PST!