One of the most difficult things about blogging (especially when you're first starting) is coming up with ideas for what to blog about. The sources are all around you. Vacations, consumer questions, other bloggers, a good picture you took. Once you have an idea (or 100), you might want to run them through some filters before deciding to hit PUBLISH.
How do you decide whether or not DELETE may be the best use for an idea?
Here are some general guidelines & filters you can use:
1. Who is your intended audience? Other agents or the public? Will the topic engage a sufficient number of the audience? And if you're niche blogging, that "sufficient number" may be as small as one truly qualified buyer or seller.
2. Do you have the expertise to write about the topic? Sometimes we're the source of the source, other times we are THE source. Tax law, I'll point you elsewhere. My patio home niche? Ask me!
3. Would your broker have an issue with what you're writing? Don't embarrass the brand and not expect consequences.
4. Is it something that will stand the test of time? (a joke that might have seemed funny at the time just MIGHT blow up later).
5. What is the purpose of the post? Educate? Entertain? Attract business?
6. If the post is the ONLY post someone reads by you, is it what you'd want to represent you?
7. Is it factually accurate? You blow credibility in a hurry when a local resident looks at your subdivision post and goes...NOPE...that's not right.
8. Are the pictures you use to decorate related to the topic? (e.g. don't use a home picture from one subdivision as an example for a completely different subdivision in style and price point).
9. Is the horse already dead? Some topics have been worn out. They can still serve a purpose, but don't be surprised if you encounter reader fatigue.
10. Will the post attract the kind of clients you WANT to work with? There's a reason I stopped posting about rentals and foreclosures. They're NOT my personally desired consumer segment. Nothing wrong with working with those segments, they're just not for me.
Over time, you'll develop your own personal set of guidelines. You may be fine with stirring the pot. Go full nuclear with politics, or Zillow, or rants of your choosing. Me, that's all a hard pass when it comes to topic selection.
Find your path, blog regularly, and make adjustments if you're not getting the results you want.
Until next Tuesday, just Ask An Ambassador if you need help.
Bill & Liz aka BLiz