What do Sir Walter Raleigh, the “Chicago 8” and Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein have in common? All share an important newsworthy anniversary on April 9th.
- 1585 – Sir Walter Raleigh departs England for Roanoke Island (now in North Carolina) to establish the Roanoke Colony.
- 1682 – Robert Cavelier de La Salle discovers the mouth of the Mississippi River, claims it for France and names it Louisiana.
- 1860 – On his phonautograph machine, Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville makes the oldest known recording of an audible human voice.
- 1865 – American Civil War: Robert E. Lee surrenders the Army of Northern Virginia (26,765 troops) to Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, effectively ending the war.
- 1867 – Alaska purchase: Passing by a single vote, the United States Senate ratifies a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska.
- 1947 – The Journey of Reconciliation, the first interracial Freedom Ride begins through the upper South in violation of Jim Crow laws. The riders wanted enforcement of the United States Supreme Court's 1946 Irene Morgan decision that banned racial segregation in interstate travel.
- 1959 – Project Mercury: NASA announces the selection of the United States' first seven astronauts, whom the news media quickly dub the "Mercury Seven".
- 1969 – The "Chicago Eight" plead not guilty to federal charges of conspiracy to incite a riot at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, IL.
- 2003 invasion of Iraq: Baghdad falls to American forces;Saddam Hussein statue topples as Iraqis turn on symbols of their former leader, pulling down the statue and tearing it to pieces.
While these interesting items pique my curiosity, they (usually) have nothing to do with my real estate business, which is helping people like you buy and sell homes in Santa Clara, Saratoga and Silicon Valley, Calif. I admit, learning new facts just adds fun and joy to my brain, soul and life.
You may enjoy reading my blog at www.activerain.com/results for more fun facts on history, real estate, home, life and other topics.
If you are looking to sell a San Jose, Cupertino, Palo Alto, or Saratoga home or buy for Silicon Valley condo, townhouse or home, you can search all Santa Clara County homes for free at Silicon Valley Dream Homes For Sale.
Images courtesy of www.wikipedia.org.
Thanks for reading "9 Odd But True Facts From April 9".