Beating The Board Bored Game
(with board games and much, much more)!
(Updated Content Added 4/23/2020)
We all are re-learning to pull together and support one another – while also taking care of our families, our friends and ourselves.
I have assembled a list of ideas and activities* intended to help you connect, reenergize and make a positive difference in the community and in your own home.
#SupportSmallBusiness We (my bride & I) have been shopping local Farmer's Market ytpe stores over big chains and supporting local restaurants with take out and delivery orders over national franchises.
We have been engaging in these activities over the past month and thought I'd share these ideas, many I have gotten from my friends, associates and neighbors:
(REALTORS* & Lenders) For Your Clients
Giving your clients something EXTRA 👈
- Visit the websites of local food banks and homeless shelters to donate online
- Visit the websites of local animal shelters to donate online
- Support local and small businesses
- Buy gift cards (to support the business today, and use when they reopen)
- Shop from their online stores
- Order food from your local restaurant, maybe rally your neighbors to take turns picking a restaurant to order fromw once or twice per week. Send take out to a friend or famil member as a fun surprise.
- Support the arts
- Donate to your favorite museum or local arts organization
- Purchase a piece of work/merchandise on the website of your favorite local artist
- Watch livestreams of music and theater performances
- Take a virtual museum tour
- Help older relatives and those in nursing facilities from a safe distance:
- Call or text to check in
- Make cards or write letters, with your kids, to send to them
- Schedule an hour of online game time with friends and family
- Host a virtual Coffee Meetup
- Host or share hosting a group Exercise Class
- Host a virtual Book Club
- Host a virtual Happy Hour
- Check in with neighbors to say hello
Read a Book
With so much free time on our hands, reading is a great way to fill our time and at the same time widen our horizons and vocabulary. Pick a New York Times Best Seller or one of Elle’s recommended beach reads and dive in!
- Exercise – outside or at home (we've been urban hiking since the trails closed in ealry April. Using empty office parks, shopping malls and lessor populated areas).
- Bake or cook (my bride and I use Home Chef to make healthy, fun meals with fresh ingredients delivered once per week, that includes the recipe, meats, vegetables and all the fixins
- Catch up on your reading; all those magazine stacks and dusty books on shelves (you know the ones)
- Get some fresh air – read outside or just relax and enjoy nature. We bought a new patio furniture set to be able to read outside on sunny days. (We've had a lot of rain in San Diego the last month)
- Do some spring cleaning; we've been thinning out closets, drawers and the garage
- Play board games. We've done this virtually too with friends that own the same board games. (A bit weird, but more fun with cocktails)
- Check your list of home projects: gardening, painting, light repairs or improvements
Get Rest + Strengthen Your Immune System
During these uncertain and stressful times, it’s important to rest and aim to keep our immune system functioning optimally. Here are a few articles from reputable sources to keep you well-informed.
Get Ahead of Spring Cleaning
Take this time to declutter and reorganize your home or apartment!
Workout at Home
No gym? No problem. Here are some of the best home workout options. Whether you’re into yoga, cardio or high-intensity workouts, there’s something for every preference.
Take a free virtual tour
- 2,500 Museums You Can Now Visit Virtually
- Incredible Virtual Tours to Help You Pass the Time
- Six Virtual Tours You Can Take If You’re Stuck at Home
- Virtual Concerts, Plays, Museums and other Culture to Enjoy from Home
- The White House (Washington, D.C.)
- Mount Vernon (Alexandria, VA)
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House (Alexandria, VA)
- Tour Yellowstone National Park!
- Explore the surface of Mars on the Curiosity Rover
- Canadian farm and food tours
We must Shelter-in-Place as these measures slow the virus, but that doesn't mean we have to be board in place.