Sequim Events & Community Make Retirement Fulfilling
Over the years, Sequim has earned itself quite a reputation for being a highly desirable place to retire. That is thanks in part to the incredible network of Sequim events and community activities that are available to you here. It doesn’t hurt that it’s a truly beautiful (and sunny!) corner of the world, either. People move from all over the world to Sequim to live out their golden years. We commonly get asked what IS it, exactly, that makes Sequim so desirable?
Sequim Events and Community Activities to Enjoy During Retirement
One of the most important things to consider when choosing a place to retire is the quality of life you’ll enjoy once you’re there. In Sequim, you’ll find that the quality of life is far superior to what you might experience in places like California, Seattle, or even Florida. A big part of life here, and part of what makes it such a fun place to live, and the various Sequim events and festivals that happen throughout the year.
- The first big festival of the year is usually the Irrigation Festival, but this year a new Sequim Event came to town; the Sunshine Festival. It was a nice way to welcome spring with a bike and run event, along with a weekend full of activities.
- The Irrigation Festival is a big deal in Sequim. It’s even the longest-running festival in all of Washington. 2020 saw the 125th year of the Irrigation Festival, which celebrates the innovative irrigation ditches that brought water to the fertile Sequim valley.
- The Olympic Peninsula Bird Fest takes place every April and includes a number of guided birding trips, boat tours, which include the chance to see Puffins in the wild, and a gala banquet. It is an absolute must for bird and nature lovers. We were sad to miss this event this year, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but we know it’ll be back and better than ever next year.
- Sequim’s Lavender Festival is, without a doubt, the biggest and most impactful Sequim event of the year. And, in part, the Lavender Festival is what helped put Sequim on the map. Sequim has become well known for its lavender farms. Drive the backroads of Sequim, and you’re bound to see acres of fragrant, purple fields of lavender. The Lavender Festival is the premier lavender event in North America, and it takes place in the 3rd week in July. The festival includes a Street Fair, farm tours and events, and so much more.
- In August, the lavender celebrations continue with the Tour de Lavender, a cycling event that offers a wonderful tour of Sequim.
- Every Tuesday throughout the summer, crowds also gather at Carrie Blake Park for the annual Music in the Park event series. Pack a picnic dinner and comfortable chairs, bring some friends, and make it a recurring Tuesday-night tradition!
- On Saturdays starting in May and extending through mid-October, you won’t want to miss browsing the Sequim Farmers Market. It’s a fabulous place to stock up on fresh, locally grown produce, but also to browse a delightful selection of art and products from local artisans.
- Finally, on the first Friday of every month, enjoy Sequim’s First Friday art walk. It’s a fun and free self-guided tour of local art venues in Sequim and takes place between 5 – 8 p.m.
It’s Time to Buy Real Estate in Sequim
There are, of course, more great Sequim events than we’ve listed here. But, as you can see, Sequim is a vibrant and busy little town. It’s all part of what makes Sequim such a wonderful and fulfilling place to retire. Are you ready to move? Contact our Sequim Real Estate Office today so we can get started!