Hello everyone - happy Tipsy Tuesday!
This edition holds a special place in my heart...Memorial Day - so many Americans just think it's another patriotic holiday that grants them a 3 day weekend, without knowing the true meaning behind it. So let's start there...
Memorial Day is a holiday to honor and mourn those who have lost their lives while serving in the Unites States Military / Armed Forces. America is the "Land of the Free - because of the brave."
TIP: Memorial Day Marketing Thoughts:
When people choose to market around Memorial Day themes, sales, limited time offers, etc...I ask that they do it knowing what it truly means...and that they do it in a way that honors the ultimate sacrifices that our American heroes have made so that we can live our own American Dream - whatever that may entail for each of us.
Here are some of the most popular hastags to use for your Memorial Day social media marketing: #memorialday, #America, #LandoftheFree, #memorialdayweekend, #memorialdaybbq, #grateful, #thankful (4 hashtags is plenty)
Try to incorporate some tips & facts about Memorial Day into your marketing messages to help keep our American history alive, here are some examples:
- Originally Memorial Day was known as Decoration Day, meant to honor the Union and the Confederate soldiers who died during the American Civil War.
- Don't wish people "Happy Memorial Day" - it is a day of remembrance and mourning.
- Memorial Day used to be celebrated on May 30th every year but now it is officially the last Monday in May.
- Congress passed a law in 2000 that requires all Americans to stop what they are doing at 3pm on Memorial Day to remember and to honor those who have died serving the United States.
- The flag is supposed to be flown at half-mast until noon, and then raised to full mast until sunset on Memorial Day.
So while you are planning your marketing strategy for the holiday weekend posts, maybe keep some of those in mind. I know that we are planning a bbq, fly the flag, listen to some good country music while enjoying the outdoors (weather permitting) and reflect on our American Heroes and be so gratedful for their service!
TIPSY: "Salute to Soldiers" Frozen Sangria