Everyone has different tastes when it comes to home decor, and window dressing is no exception. While most of what we see in magazines and home websites are windows covered in draperies, that may not be what we have in mind for our own home. What are the alternatives? There are plenty of different ways to dress up our windows without forgoing privacy or style.
- Using shutters instead of curtains give you privacy while allowing light to come through when you have adjustable louvers on the shutters. Most are made of wood and can be painted or stained to match your room’s decor or make a statement.
- A pelmet or cornice covered in fabric and paired with plain sheer panels is a simple way to draw the eye up, and make the room appear larger.
Shades are simple and are mostly used for light control and privacy. Shades come in three main styles: rolling, cellular, and Roman.
- Rolling shades are much improved from the days of the plain white; they come in decorative fabrics and colors to coordinate with the room decor.
- Cellular shades are great for insulating the windows the cover, and softly filter the light coming in.
- Roman shades can be made of fabric or natural materials, such as bamboo for a casual look.
- Covering a window with a piece of art is nothing new: vintage stained-glass windows can be found in flea markets and tag sales. If you’re feeling crafty, make your own “stained glass” with paints, and hang the piece over your window.
- For a simpler craft, use the “stained glass” paint in clear to make the window look like wavy antique glass.
- A sunny window is a perfect place for plants, so use them as your window treatment! Purchase shelving and install, or make shelves for your green thumb display.
- Laser-cut metal panels can be installed over windows, and are becoming increasingly popular. Pattern choices are seemingly endless and can be easily purchased at online home decor sites.
Gone are the days when everyone’s home interiors were almost cookie-cutter identical, and good riddance! Our homes should reflect our unique style, and windows are no exception. Whatever you choose for a window treatment, you will not have a problem finding the right product for you, your family, and your home.
If you are in the market to buy or sell a home, let Sandra Nickel and her Hat Team of Professionals assist you with all your real estate needs! Call them today at 334-834-1500!
Photo credit: DIY Plantation Shutters