Summertime is Finally Here!
Do You Have an Emergency Disaster Kit for Your Pet?
It elicits memories and thoughts of great backyard barbeques and family and friends enjoying warm nights on decks and patios. You can almost feel the mist and cool water of lawn sprinklers and swimming pools. Taste the icy-cold drinks.
Summertime is "fun in the hot sun" and "making great memories while wearing flip-flops" ...
But summertime can also be the season of natural disasters ...
Tornadoes, flooding, hurricanes, wildfires ... they most commonly rear their ugly heads during hotter summer months.
Over the last few months, because of the COVID-19 Crisis, the need for emergency planning has become apparent to Americans. The crisis has highlighted the urgent need for emergency planning and preparedness.
Who of us hasn't reacted to the crisis and stocked up on those things that we know are essential needs for ourselves and loved ones?
Whether it's been toilet paper, bottled water, hand-sanitizer, food, medicines, or something else, we've enacted our "Emergency Plans" and prepared for the likelihood of shortages occurring. We've prepared and faced the possibility that access to stores and goods might become limited ... and our ability to get out and purchase the items might be limited as well.
But humans are not the only ones facing this crisis. Our pets face them right along with us. Our furry friends face the physical dangers and the resulting risks too. But typically, if a situation is not safe for us, it's not safe for them either.
June is National Pet-Preparedness Month ... and it's the perfect time to prepare an Emergency/Disaster Kit for pets. The pre-planning and preparation performed could save their lives should a disaster occur.
So what should your Pet Emergency/Disaster Kit contain?
First, you should construct and enable a pet evacuation plan. Pro-actively find what options for pet-friendly shelter you have available near you, both if you keep your pet with you or if you're unable to do so.
As a part of your plan, you should have a notice/sticker on or at your home's front entrance alerting all that a pet resides in the home.
If you're unable to shelter with your pet, the following may be an option and meet your needs:
- Veterinarian offices
- Boarding facilities
- Animal shelters
- Pet-friendly hotels
- Friends or Relatives nearby (They can be extremely helpful should you be away when a disaster occurs)
Secondly: Keep your pet's medical records close-at-hand.
Most shelters will require that you provide proof of up-to-date vaccinations/shots, emergency or not. It's also wise to authorize a caregiver for your pets, should you be unable to see to their care or medical decisions to be made.
The items suggested for your Emergency/Disaster Kit include the following items:
- A (minimum) 10-day supply of pet food(s) for each animal
- Feeding instructions for pet(s)
- Food/water bowls
- 10-day bottled water supply for each animal
- Pet First-Aid Kit
- Proof of up-to-date shots/vaccinations/heartworm results, etc.
- Prescriptions for medicines taken
- Their Veterinarian's contact info
- Photos of your pet(s)
- Pet bed, blanket, towel
- Pet toys
- Extra leashes and collars
- If a cat, include a litter pan and litter for a minimum of a 10-day period
- Disposable garbage bags needed for clean-up purposes
- Paper towels
- A Flashlight with good batteries
- Grooming items
- Small bottle of bleach
- Small supply of cleaning supplies
- Copy of municipality pet registration (if applicable)
- If microchipped, include microchip info
- Your/Owner contact information
- Comfort items preferred by your pet(s)
June's National Pet Preparedness Month celebrations provide us the perfect reminder to take action on our pets' behalf.
Take this opportunity to assemble an Evacuation Plan and Emergency/Disaster Kit for your pets. That way you are always prepared for a natural disaster or emergency should one arise.
* Are you dreaming of buying or refinancing a home or Investment Property in New Lenox - Will County - Chicago - Chicagoland - IL/WI?
Contact me today! I'll put my 40 years of mortgage experience and expertise to work on your behalf.
I'm easily found at: