Brookside is a widely-known group of communities in Kansas City, Missouri and is regularly chosen as the best neighborhood in the region. It is home to some of the best museums, historic residences, shops, and dining places in the metro area.
The Country Club District, where Brookside is located, is comprised of historic and affluent residential communities. It was conceived and designed by J.C. Nichols, a noted real estate developer. Made up of adjoining neighborhoods, featuring mostly of single-family English tudor, bungalow, colonial, shirtwaist and other style homes, the district was built in stages between 1906 and 1950. It is the largest master-planned community built by a developer in the United States. The Country Club District is home to the Country Club Plaza, the country’s first suburban shopping district.
Brief Community History
The Brookside Shopping District is the first suburban shopping center in Kansas City. The idea of establishing Brookside Shopping District began before the first World War. On September 1, 1919, the Country Club District Bulletin headlined the groundbreaking for the Brookside shops. Construction was finished over the next decade.
Brookside was designed for the booming lifestyle of the early 1920’s. The community prided itself on drug and grocery stores, medical offices, specialty shops, a community center, including the first police and fire stations on the south side. A century later, Brookside continues to be the model of a lively neighborhood center.
Brookside is attractive for professionals... "The reason I'm looking at a potential move to Brookside is that I fell in love with the place. There is very much as sense of community. You can see it at their community events and watch how the people interact. All the English tudor and colonial homes are lovely. I also love the shops in the quaint business district and the organic farmers market in spring and summer. It's just such a charming and vibrant neighborhood." says Lawrence Flick a veteran personal injury lawyer who currently lives and works in Johnson County.
Unlike other historic communities, Brookside still provides its residents with basic needs and services which include over 90 shops, specialty stores, offices, and restaurants. These establishments are all unique and remain faithful to the original neighborhood’s charm and style.
Events from fairs to parades fill the Brookside calendar all year round.
- Cheerful art exhibits at the Leopold Gallery will satisfy the artist in you.
- The cheerful atmosphere at the Brookside Art Annual draws over 70,000 visitors each year
- The John Wornall House Museum is listed in the National Register of Historical Places. This historic landmark was used as a field hospital at the Battle of Westport during the Civil War. A private ghost tour of the house will challenge even the bravest visitor.
Stores and shops
- STUFF is a store for jewelry, gifts, and collectibles.
- The Fiddly Fig features custom arrangements and bouquets for all occasions.
- The New Dime Store is the neighborhood’s five-and-dime style store for just about everything.
- Brookside Barkery & Bath offers doggie snacks, pet spa, and everything to treat your furry companion.
- Brookside Toy & Science is a mom-and-pop store for toys, games, and educational gadgets.
- For souvenir hunters, 5B & Co. Candlemakers craft scented candles with hilarious names.
Brookside’s historic shops and homes are still in demand after over a century of serving the community. Tree-lined streets, famous landmarks, and other points of interests have been well-kept through the years. If you want to be a part of this relaxed neighborhood, you will find home prices still reasonable.
Photo Credit: Paul Sableman / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)
Subscribe to CommentsComment