I recently was compelled to do some updating to my laptop brought about by my careless downloading of different drivers and programs that brought about a crash. What frightening experience only because it is an affront to your comfort zone that is brought on by yourself and not expected. That is why it stings when it crashes regardless of the cause
LEARNING THRUST (not curve)
I have practiced for decades living by the good news, bad news and problem-solving. I don't spend too much time in complaining, regret, misfortune or mistakes regardless of the cause. I just like to spring back back up if I fall or return to my center if I stray far away & to do this as soon as possible.
While I am in the recovery mode, I might as well make some improvements on the way back. I work hard to be able to do this putting money and time aside when needed should this come up. It did and I decided to make improvements to my laptop during its down-time and recovery from the crash
I have double virus protection so I don't believe a virus took me down NO. It was conflict deliberately inflicted but not knowingly upon my laptop by me. I had conflicting drivers and programs. Its a long story but that is why I crashed. So off I go to staples to get help. Why them? They do it right there in front of you
I came across the dreaded BSOD or blue screen of death that comes up if you have a crash problem and the 'death" screen shows up when you turn on your unit. You are given many options to resuscitate all designed by engineers to help the ignorant & the savvy. Out of the 15 different ways to come back, mine would not!
WHAT I LEARNED
How many times have you heard or thought about a back-up disc, recovery system plan, an external hard drive unit or a plug-in unit that once downloaded will enable you to restore your unit AND JUST DECIDED NOT TO DO IT because of the various makes no sense reasons? I am that man! I paid the price
WHAT IT TOOK
If you ever practiced CPR on one of those dummies imagine my laptop on the counter of staples, its cover opened and some tech guy trying to revive it all while I watch. Will it live? Can you bring her back? His honest I don't knows kept me in suspense. Finally the verdict: You need a new..............
SYSTEMS WIPE ? yikes!
Think blood transfusion here. Now this is a good time to state that lots of choices have to be made at this point. I will list some of them but let me tell you the feelings behind them are intense.
1. We have to remove the hard drive to access it for a recovery. Doable but time consuming with twists
2. Tiny little screws you can see and tiny ones you cannot are all over the back of the laptop. Trying to find them all is challenging and we had to find diagrams of it to proceed. Think a Doctor looking at an X-RAY before and during the surgery.
3. Then, you have to pry with love, gentleness and tenderness all around the edges to lift-off. DO NOT FORCE ANYTHING or you break little pieces of plastic meant to be there and will haunt you if broken
4. Finally the cover is off and hard drive sighted. Its like a large pack of cigarettes with a wire plug. We pull
5. The amount of dust inside my unit was surprising and shocking. All that time I was blowing canned air into the vents it just pushed it all into the unit deeper. The fan was drowning and huffing plus running hot
6. Now, can I retrieve data? Some of it yes the rest was lost.
7. Before erasing everything, a discussion on now is the time to buy a new, state of the art hard drive as an upgrade or forever regret you did not. What this does is add speed and space. One trigabyte here I come
8. I also had the latest and greatest version of Windows 10 installed.
9. NOTE THIS: When it comes to cell phones, computers and smart TVs, I never skimp! I always buy the best is what life has taught. The tech working on my unit said this is as good as anything out now and I have had it for 4 years. Buying the best does last and pay-off.
10. It was worth it to invest into this unit and the tech guys says shes good for years to come if you do.
I lost a lot of files LOL and here is why! I don't even remember what some of them were! If you have ever forgot your cell phone and noticed it while out there, I had similar feelings on the laptop. What did I forget? What files? Who were they? How important were they? Can life go on? Ignorance is truly bliss
We all die. In this case, my hard drive went first and left me behind. Next time I will go and leave it behind. Do not under-estimate a fresh start for its redeeming values. I feel lighter, free-er and it is worthy to note that I have re-activated my other as needed apps and programs. One of them was the ACTIVERAIN.