I have to be honest, I'm not ready to go back out there yet. It's very scary and i'm not talking about Covid. I'm talking about Google My Business. After the last fiasco with Google Plus, who in the right mind has faith in this product? Initially GMB looks like a decent product for advertising your business but posts within the platform seem to have little to no effect on actual SEO of your onsite content.
Google News Sites however are all the rage these days. Having ones site ranked as a Google News website is tantamount to receiving a Gold Star from Google. Your content shows up higher in search, your trust rating and reputation scores go through the roof. That's really where folks eye on the prize needs to be... to heck with GMB optimization past a certain point it's meaningless. Go for the gold star and try and get your site ranked as a Google News website - the SEO benefits are enormous in search.
Whoa whoa whoa... simmer down, how on Earth do I get my website ranked as a Google News website you may be asking? Well that's not putting the cart before the horse, that's an honest and easy question to answer. My main man Neil Patel who has taught me tons of great information over the years through his blog is an expert on the subject. I'll give you the cliff notes version of his informative article on the subject.
10 Ways To Get Your Website Ranked For Google News
- Don't be a copycat, be original and write newsbreaking articles
- Use keyword specific headlines that best communicate the story
- Don't be repetitive and keyword stuff, Google hates that
- Use an active voice not a passive one (Example: Mary sold a house. Passive voice. - The house was sold by Mary. Active voice.)
- Always write in the present tense even if the story happened a while ago
- Don't over capitalize in your headlines. Judicious use of capitlization is important.
- Write timely news and not evergreen content that is meant to last forever.
- Be relevant and stay relevant by posting articles each and every day.
- Keep posting and stay posting to establish authority.
- Google AMP websites appear to get special preference when it comes to getting ranked for Google News.
I've done this succesfully with a few different websites that I own like Pool Magazine and Pool Buyers Guide, it's all about following the formula I've outlined. You can get some really solid metrics going on your own website following these simple steps.
I'm Joe Trusty and I'm a 900 pound gorilla at SEO and digital marketing. My opinions are my own and i'm not being paid to share them or advertise or promote any specific product or service. I hope you find the information I provided helpful and that you find ways to apply it and win at digital marketing.