In Dallas currently, some homes are still getting multiple offers. While this can be stressful for home buyers, there are ways to win the house. Also, make sure that you hire an experienced agent who can guide you through the process.
1. Make your offer as “clean” as possible. You may opt-out in asking the seller to pay for your home warranty or closing costs or for their personal property for free (refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.)
2. Many buyers requested a 10 day option period. Consider shortening it but make certain that you can get your inspection done quickly and still have enough time to negotiate repairs.
3. I’ve seen buyers putting very little earnest money. Put about 1% of sales price or if you are confident, put higher. Show the seller that you’re financially strong and serious about buying the home.
4. You may have to offer more than the list price.
5. If you feel confident in the price you’re offering, you can offer to pay the difference if you go over. This will mean that if the home appraises for less than the purchase price, you’ll make up the difference in cash.
6. Make sure you have a strong lender. Seller and seller’s agent can decline your offer because they had a bad experience with your lender or your lender has a bad reputation.
7. Have your agent find out what’s important to the seller and craft your offer around this information. Seller’s agent may not give you any info or return your agent’s call but it doesn’t hurt to ask.
8. Write a letter to the seller about you and why you like the home. This will make your offer more personable and you are not just another number or another offer to the seller.
9. If your offer on the home isn’t accepted, have your agent ask the listing agent where you are at with your offer. For example, listing agent may tell you that your offer rank #3 out of 4 offers. This info will give you an idea on what to do on your next offer.
I'd be happy to assist if you are looking for an experienced agent to help you purchase or sell a home in the Dallas area. I have guided many home buyers and sellers through multiple offer situations and I will do the same for you.