While open-concept homes have been quite popular over the past decade, some experts are predicting that their popularity will begin to decline in the coming months and years. With all that is going on in our world, people are looking for homes that offer multiple rooms with clearly defined spaces for privacy and to accommodate multigenerational families. There are certainly upsides to open-concept floorplans, but these cons might move you to start looking for a more traditional closed-concept home:
- Lack of privacy. If your household includes people of various ages on a multitude of different schedules, an open floor plan can make things challenging. For example, if your teenager wants to have friends over for a study group at the kitchen table, but you want to watch a movie. Or perhaps you want to read quietly on the couch, but your daughter’s having a sleepover and they want to have pizza and bake cookies. A separate, enclosed kitchen may be better for some families. 2020 Kitchen Trends: Movement Away From Open Concept
- Limited wall space. Placing furniture in an open space is tricky sometimes, especially if you have a lot of windows. And if you are an art lover, you are going to want blank walls for displaying your treasures.
- Overwhelming mess. Smaller, enclosed rooms are easier to keep neat and tidy. With open floor plans, stuff tends to spread out. And you may not want kids’ toys in your main living space, so a smaller, enclosed room might be your preference for a play area.
- Too noisy. With an open plan, there are more acoustics, therefore noise travels further. A quiet conversation in the kitchen may not be possible with the television on across the way.
- The coziness factor. It can be challenging to design a cozy environment in a wide open space. Smaller rooms make it easier to create a sense of warmth and comfort. Designers Share 40 Ways to Make Your Living Room Cozy
- Energy efficiency. Keeping your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer is more difficult with fewer interior walls.
If you are in the market to buy or sell a home, let Sandra Nickel and her hat team of Professionals assist you with all your real estate needs! Call them today at 334-834-1500!
Photo Credit: southernhospitalityblog.com