In my opinion, formal dining rooms are antiquated. Are you really going to spend thousands of dollars on a room that's used maybe 2-3 times a year?
Instead, turn that room into a home office or something that's really useful, especially now during these tumultuous times.
Yes, you could keep that drab room the way it is, which is passé or you could make it into a room that you use and that actually gets used all of the time.
Who says that the room has to be used for what someone else says that it's for?
Maybe you don't want to use it for yourself, ok, what can you use it for? Well, let me enumerate the ways...
1. Game Room: Everybody loves to play games, board games, darts, air hockey, poker, cards, puzzles, etc. All of these things and more. You might even want to put in a pool table.
2. Playroom: Your stuck at home, the kids are running around and they don't really have an area for them to go to. Well, give them some of their own space. You can design a fun and safe place for your kids to play in and keep all of their toys and playthings in one place.
3. Bar: Are you looking for a place for your family and friends to gather? Put in an inviting place for them to be and just hang out. It's better than being in the "Family Room" where you sit and watch T.V.
4. School Station: Are you tired of your kids wanting to stay in their room all day? I know that I am. Yes, they could probably make anyplace their own work place at that particular time, but why not make it special? If you have a dedicated work space for you, why not them? Remember, your looking for them to be productive. Change may do them good.
5. Media Room: Are you lacking an area that may get used alot? Make this a space where you can play video games, watch movies or listen to the music you want to.
6. Library: Do you like to sit and read? Drink tea or coffee? Both at the same time? Put out your favorite books and some comfy chairs with a table and relax with the written word. Some of us still like the weight of the book and the feel of turning the pages.
7. Craft Room: Have you been looking for a place to put your sewing machine or a place to do all of the crafts that you've been wanting to do? Stop putting that stuff on your dining room table and convert it to your own place.
8. Workout Room: Gaining weight staying at home? Turn that useless room into a place that helps you stay in shape. You and your significant other can workout together of at different times. Hey, it beats sitting on the couch with a bag of chips. Of course, you can have two bags if you work out enough! It may even be less than buying a new wardrobe because you got a little bigger and your current clothes don't fit so good anymore.
Anything that your heart desires, hey, it's your space.