When a Pandemic Hits, Bring on the Positive Attitude…and Network, Network, NETWORK!
Recently Anna Banana Kruchten CRB, CRS, Broker & Intructor shared a great article about networking. Tying that in with Lyn Sims' question about the election last week, made me think about some of the lessons we all learned during The Great Recession. While this is nothing remotely like the Great Recession, the pandemic has dealt us a different set of challenges - but, they are challenges just the same.
When times get tough, people often like to find scapegoats. They want to find someone to blame for their own problems. Whether it’s gas prices, the economy, the election or COVID-19 - it’s someone or something else’s fault.
The reality IS, your success is up to you--and you alone. Sorry, but you can't blame anyone else. You have to take control of your own life and make your own success--no one is going to do that for you. Whether you're a glass-half-full kind of person or a glass-half-empty person, you must accept this reality before you can move on with your life, and thus your success.
Unless you're already independently wealthy, the money you earn in your future is going to come from other people. Networking has become a basic 'staple' in our business and we need to be open and willing to network in order to develop solid relationships with others. Your networking 'friends' must be able to see solid real value in YOU and thus, put their trust in you.
Building value and increasing trust is what networking (a.k.a. 'relationship marketing') is all about. You develop relationships with potential buyers, sellers, colleagues, investors and other stakeholders in your field of business and believe me, it pays off!
That said, the foundation of all relationships is your attitude. The great thing about our psyche is that you can choose to have a great attitude no matter what happens in your business or your life. Remember the old adage, when one door closes, another opens? So very often, we so focus on the door that closed, that we don't see that another one was opened for us.
So, set out and look for new opportunities--your OWN opportunities! Think how many are out there right in front of your nose?
- Have you visited your local Chamber of Commerce lately? There is a wealth of information on YOUR business there. At our local Chamber (CLT Alliance), they continue to encourage collaboration and promotion for the advancement of business in our region, virtually during the pandemic.
- Have you attended a local Chamber meeting in recent months to see how the reset of the economy, following the pandemic, is going in your area? In Charlotte, they are hosting these meetings virtually and welcome the community’s input at these virtual meetings.
- Local schools are in need of volunteers - yes, even with the limitations for in-person classes, there is a lot to be done. The community is helping by delivering assignments and equipment to students.Tutors are still needed as well and many of the schools could really use your help. All I can suggest is to simply inquire.
- Your local Rotary International club could use a hand with a Habitat home or a local orphanage that may need help with deliveries. Inquire within!
- If you have small children, outdoor activities bring alot of parents to games and events (yes, outdoor sporting events are taking place in North & South Carolina) and the opportunity to meet new people is there, each and every time you participate in one of these activities! If you don't have your own children, what about nieces and nephews?!
- Local political volunteer opportunities abound right now! Get involved and meet new networking 'buddies'!
This list is just the tip of the iceburg! Get busy networking with your positive attitude and when you’ve done your local networking, sign onto ActiveRain and make some new friends in the Rain. There are no better networking possibilities out there for you. And, whatever you dive into, don’t forget to bring your positive attitude! As well, join us on our weekly ZOOM meet-ups - you'll be glad you did!
Whatever you do, bear in mind that your success is ultimately up to YOU--start with a positive attitude, add some hard work, networking and planning - and you’ll be well on your way to success.
© Debe Maxwell | The Maxwell House Group | RE/MAX Executive | CharlotteBroker@icloud.com | When a Pandemic Hits, Bring on the Positive Attitude…and Network, Network, NETWORK!