National Cat Day: October 29th
It's National Cat Day! Today is the purr-fect day for all of those of us who are cat parents to wish our fur babies a happy day. It's also the purr-fect day to show our cats just how much we love and appreciate them. As NationalCatDay.com says: "we dream about, marvel at, and celebrate the lives of cats."
National Cat Day was founded 15 years ago by animal welfare advocate, Colleen Paige, "to help galvanize the public to recognize the number of cats needing rescue, as well as to encourage cat lovers to celebrate the cat(s) in their lives for the unconditional love and companionship they bestow upon us."
Colleen Paige's message continues to be "adopt, don't shop." And that's also why #1 on my list of 15 Ways To Celebrate National Cat Day below is "adopt a cat from your local shelter and give it a fur-ever home."
1. Adopt a cat (or two) from your local shelter or cat rescue and give it a "fur-ever" home.
2. Donate blankets, food and toys to your local shelter or cat rescue organization.
3. Volunteer at your local pet shelter, if you can during the pandemic.
4. Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of kitten mills and gas chambers in your state.
5. Bake tuna cookies for your cat.
6. Have a safety check of your home to make sure it's safe for your cat.
7. Spend the day taking photos of your cat and posting them on your Facebook page.
8. Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by cleaning their cat’s litter box and playing with their cat.
9. Commission a custom portrait painted of your cat or hire a pet photographer for a photo shoot.
10. Buy your cat a fun new toy, bed or treats!
11. Make a window perch for your cat to lay in to sunbathe.
12. Brush your cat to eliminate excess fur and hairballs and while you're at it, give your cat a calming massage.
13. Paint your face, wear kitty ears or dress in cat related fashion.
14. Buy your cat a collar and tag with your name and number, so it's easy to identify your cat just in case he/she "escapes."
15. Host a National Cat Day party and invite all your friends and their cats! (Although this may have to wait until after the pandemic.)
Purr-fect Cat Quotes:
What greater gift than the love of a cat?
~ Charles Dickens
I really am a cat transformed into a woman.
~ Brigitte Bardot
My husband said it was him or the cat... I miss him sometimes.
A cat has absolute emotional honesty.
~ Ernest Hemingway
People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life!
~ Faith Resnick
Time spent with a cat is never wasted.
Way down deep, we’re all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the courage to live by them.
~ Jim Davis
Cats choose us; we don’t own them.
~ Kristin Cast
There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
So from me and my cat, Mr. Marlow, who also believes in celebrating National Cat Day every day of the year: Happy National Cat Day! Mr. Marlow and I hope all cats and their parents have a purr-fect day today!
This information about National Cat Day is provided by Nina Hollander and Carolinas Realty Partners with Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage, your Charlotte metro area residential real estate experts and cat lovers and cat parents. We've been helping Charlotte area cats and their parents open doors throughout the Charlotte region for 20+ years.
If you're considering purchasing or selling a home in the Charlotte metro area, I'd love an opportunity to earn your business, to exceed your expectations, and to show you how
Featured image credited to: https://lecatts.wordpress.com/2020/10/28/happy-almost-national-cat-day-2020/