Summer is officially here and the vacation driving season is on us. Being a Realtor, any extra mileage I can squeeze out of gallon of gas helpls my bottom line. I have put together a list of 10 things to do to improve your mileage for those of us who forget.
10 Ways to Improve Mileage:
1. Have a complete check up. For safety and fuel economy, you should give your car a good check up before taking a trip.
2. Change your oil regularly. Dirty motor oil can impair your engine's performance cutting down on good gas mileage.
3. Make sure your tire pressure is correct. Keep your tires at the recommended pressure. Lower tire pressure can cause drag on the vehicle's performance.
4. Slow down. Within the range of normal highway speeds, each 10 mph over the limit, will reduce fuel economy by 10% to 20%.
5. Cruise control. Use it if you're driving on relatively flat roads. It can prevent speed changes that waste precious gas.
6. Use the A/C . It's debatable whether your car uses more fuel to drive with your windows down or rolled up with the air conditioner on. So, turn on the A/C, cool down and enjoy the ride.
7. Avoid idling. Idling and slow driving wastes fuel, so plan your drive time when there is less chance of traffic jams.
8..Pack light. Extra weight cuts fuel economy, so pack as little as possible. And avoid hauling your stuff outside the vehicle. Roof-top bins and racks can cut fuel economy by 20%.
9. .Take it easy on the pedals. When not in highway traffic, calm down the aggressive acceleration and hard braking. This habit of quick starts and stops wastes an amazing amount of fuel.
10. Use the lowest grade. Check your owner's manual for the fuel your car needs. If it recommends "Regular" gas, use it. Using Premium just wastes money.