Flavorful twist on Beef Stew – Bo Kho: Vietnamese Beef Stew.
Here is an amazing twist on the standard beef stew that will fill you mouth with fresh savory flavors. Goes great with fresh bread or a bowl of pho noodles.
FOR THE BEEF:
- 2 ½ to 3 pounds boneless beef chuck or brisket or any beef on sale, we used sirlon. (cut into 1½-inch chunks)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons ginger (minced)
- 5 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons five-spice powder
- 1½ teaspoons brown sugar
FOR THE REST OF THE STEW:
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass (cut into 3-inch lengths, after removing any tough woody parts)
- 2 stalks lemongrass (minced, after removing any tough woody parts)
- 8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (sliced thinly)
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste or 1 can diced tomato.
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper &1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 potatoes peeled and diced ¾ inch size
- 8 large carrots (peeled and cut on the bias into 1½ -inch chunks)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chili oil (optional or to taste)
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves OR 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- Lime wedges
- First marinate the beef. Combine the beef with the garlic, ginger, fish sauce, five-spice powder, and brown sugar until each piece is evenly coated. Marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over high heat. Add the beef to the pot, and brown evenly on all sides and then remove, save all juices. You will have to do this in 3 or 4 separate groups so you do not over crowd pan. Deglaze with ¼ cup white wine and save.
- Next heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the stalks of lemongrass and allow them to infuse the oil for 1 minute. Next, add the minced lemongrass and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent. Then add all of the beef to the pot for one minute. Then add the tomato paste or diced tomatoes.
- Stir and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the water, chicken broth, star anise, ground black pepper, chili powder and paprika. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer for 1 hour.
- After an hour has passed, add the carrots, potatoes, salt, soy sauce, and chili oil. Simmer for another 40 minutes.
- To serve, remove the large lemongrass stalks and any star anise pods you can fish out.
- Garnish with cilantro and/or Thai basil and serve with some lime wedges on the side with fresh bread.
A FEW OF OUR PAST FAVORITE NEW RECIPES ARE BELOW.