Norwalk, CT: The Ten Biggest Mistakes Taxpayers Make

Education & Training with By The Book Taxes 00114257-EA

Generally speaking, taxpayers should never try and represent themselves before the IRS. It’s best to hire a professional (Enrolled Agent, CPA or Attorney) with tax representation knowledge and experience to represent you. They are trained in IRS process and procedure and will ensure that you make use of all your taxpayer rights.


My firm, By The Book Taxes, located in Norwalk, CT specializes in income tax preparation for individuals, families and self-employed people. By The Book Taxes represents clients before the IRS and state taxing authorities to help them resolve their tax debts by preparing and filing Installment Payment Agreements, Offers-in-Compromise, Currently Not Collectible and Innocent or Injured Spouse applications. By The Book Taxes also represents clients in 1040 examinations or audits.



The ten (10) biggest mistakes taxpayers make are:

Automatically filing a joint (MFJ) return if married


Non-filers filing more than the last six (6) years of tax returns


Thinking that the tax return that the IRS creates for you (called an SFR or “Substitute for Return”) if you haven’t filed in a while requires you to file an actual return


Not opening the mail you get from the IRS


Not requesting a “Collections Due Process” (CDP) Appeals hearing


Not securing a loan from a family member with a lien and repayment plan


Not liquidating assets to pay current taxes to get into “compliance” for an “Offer-in-Compromise” or reduced monthly payment agreement


Paying the oldest tax year(s) balances first


Not paying your current year (estimated) taxes first


Trying to deal with the IRS by yourself


If you have years of unfiled tax returns or owe money to the IRS, please call me before the IRS finds you.  I can help.




Comments (0)